03-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #165
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I read this post in detail and I just have to say again - thank you so much for taking the time to write this up!
YW

Quote:
... As a casual, "outside" observer when I think about "high end watches" the very first watch brand that comes to mind is Rolex, and the very first watch that comes to mind is a diver watch like a submariner.... the question becomes what are you willing to pay for the over-engineering and authenticity that comes with owning the real thing.
Red:
That's exactly the way Rolex wants it to be.

Blue:
Yep...that's almost literally the $10K question. As the quality of replicas increases, even folks who can easily afford to spend the money have to grapple with the issue. There's nobody I know, rich or poor, who can't find something useful to do with $9K beside spend it on a watch. They may choose something equally frivolous, or they may not. Whatever they choose, a great portion of that choice is nothing more than being able to so choose.

Quote:
...You know in hindsight, I actually do understand the premium placed on the "intangible" aspect of owning a fine, authentic watch. Take cars, for example. Our family has a policy of only buying brand new cars. ...It seems perfectly reasonable to me that others would place similar premiums on the intangible aspects of other luxury goods.
It is completely reasonable. My point about doing so is that one just needs to be honest with oneself about why one does so. It could be one just likes the cache of it. It could be that the thing one wants from the watch cannot be obtained from another, less expensive watch. It could be that it's the only way to get this or that color of design attribute. It could be any of one or many things.

So long as one is true to oneself about whatever the reason -- regardless of how silly or ill advised I or others may think that reason to be -- it's probably just fine. Something I often ask folks to consider:
Can you get whatever those things are that're important to you and that that watch has for less money without meaningfully compromising on that which you expect to obtain from the thing?
If the answer is yes and they remain committed to that specific watch that costs more than the "just as good" alternative, they are buying for an emotional reason and there isn't one thing I can say or one watch I can suggest that will be a better choice for them. They don't need to explain the emotional drivers to me for emotional motivations are exactly why we say "to each his own."

Quote:
Your enthusiasm about watches is palpable. As a self-proclaimed "non-watch guy" even I get a little excited about the subject after I read your posts
TY. Glad I can inspire a little interest in you. I'd love to see it grow, but I know your accountant would advise against that happening.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0