View Single Post
      01-21-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Home Remodel Advice

So my mother has been wanting to remodel her apartment and another house she has as a rental property. She’s been saying she’s getting quotes etc now for probably a year or more. At this point me and my sister think we need to step in and handle this for her.

Now I don’t know anything about home remodeling as I have never had any remodeling done. Also both home are in Miami which is full of the shadiest scammiest scumbags you can imagine. And of course she doesn’t have a bunch of money to throw at this to just go hire some high end top of the line place.

I’m thinking it would be cheaper and easier to find people to do the various jobs vs finding a general contractor or someone who would handle the whole thing from start to finish. All the contractors I have spoken with I wouldn’t trust to water my cactus. I think I would have better luck finding tile people, etc and doing some of the stuff myself (with help from family) like removing the old kitchen etc.

The apartment is a small studio apartment, but it’s a big ol cement box. I’m sure there will be issues when dealing with the HOA also. I think all that needs to be done there is floors, kitchen and bathroom and they are all very small.

The house is small about 1,500 sqft but it’s in very bad shape, needs a new roof, all the drywall on the ceiling has to be redone due to water damage from said roof. Bathroom and kitchen have to be demoed and redone, floors need to be redone and that’s just what I can see.

So I guess just looking for tips or recommendations in general on the best way to tackle this while trying to keep the budget down. She is not looking for marble floors and wifi appliances or anything fancy like that. Just something that decent and not 80 years old. Also if any of you know good people to do some of the work in Miami or Miami Beach area that would be great also.
Appreciate 0