View Single Post
      01-23-2022, 03:14 PM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Well my mom at some point broke down and told my sister she couldn’t handle it so that’s why we are taking over.

I’m thinking I will be mostly handling big picture stuff as far as figuring out what exactly needs to be done, what we can do ourselves and what we can’t, costs etc. Probably help finding and talking to some of the people doing the bigger jobs, setting up estimates figuring out who’s best. Since my mom and my sister live in Miami (I live an hour away) they would be more the boots on the ground day to day calling people when they don’t show etc. I know my sister would definitely smack some people around when they get out of line.

My sister in law does work in real estate and recommended some people for some of the jobs but she has no connections with any GC just individual laborers. My mom would be staying in her condo while the house is being done and vice versa so it would not be a huge problem if it takes longer than expected (not that we want that but it’s not the end of the world and no one will be homeless).

I’m also thinking hiring laborers you somewhat mitigate your risk vs a GC. If you pick a bad GC you’re whole project might be fucked vs getting a bad drywall guy just means that one part might be fucked, but I guess the reverse is true also. Dunno.
Drywall usually isn't an issue. Finding plumbing mistakes, sloppy electricians, busy contractors. Knowing what to look for and when to demand something be corrected takes some experience.
Better to do one thing like a bathroom and live with for awhile and find the issues than to a complete unit and then find issues throughout the entire job.
Appreciate 1