View Single Post
      01-24-2022, 10:41 AM   #18
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Having done some major renovations on my new construction home a few years after buying it as the original owner, I'm glad I went with a GC. The work I had done ranged from a two story addition, finishing the basement, adding in new fireplaces, new windows where none existed, etc, etc. Unfortunately, good GCs will be booked. Beware of those that can jump onto your job immediately. Ensure the GC has a current license with your local municipality and is bonded and insured. Also, request references. Any good GC will have no problems providing references to customers of theirs. Go see the work and ask questions of the past customer.

One thing neglected in this discussion is the age of the said buildings. If they're old enough, you may be opening additional cans of worms when you tear into the walls. You might find yourself on the back end of doing more than you had originally planned due to the requirement to bring anything you touch up to current code standards. Being your own GC, you'll be responsible to navigate all of this. That's if you care to have everything done legitimately with the proper permitting.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410877.50