View Single Post
      08-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Post Lamborghini Huracan Performante

I had a test drive of the fastest road car in the world today; the Nurburgring road car record holding Lamborghini Huracan Performante.

It was stunning yellow car, and in fact the colour combination I most wanted to see in the metal.

There is a lot to like about this car, and some things I absolutely loved. The engine is top of that list. It is simply glorious, and is one of the best sounding engines I have driven. In Sport and Corsa (track) modes it bangs and pops wonderfully, as well as roaring when revved high. Simply beautiful.

I drove the car very briefly in Strada (street, or comfort) and it was fairly comfortable and not especially loud or bumpy.

The worst thing about the car was its seats though. The carbon bucket seats were actually far less comfortable than the carbon seats in my Lotus! Truly terrible. You can however opt for standard seats, which are a lot better. You cannot select leather though, only alcantara, which also annoys me.

Alcantara is a cheap, poorer wearing, synthetic fabric that is ideal on race cars as it is light and fire resistant. There is no sensible reason for it to be the only available option on a supercar.

A couple of Aventadors:

I mostly drove the car in Sport and Corsa, and it was very easy to drive, quick and impressive. Apart from not being able to see the extremities of the car, it was easy to drive. Traction from its 4WD system was unbreakable.

Full power acceleration from a standing start was smooth and powerful, as was accelerating generally. All very easy and controlled with no adverse drama. It did not feel as fast as the Nurburgring record suggests though, but that is only due to its smooth power delivery and gearbox. I suspect if I took it on track, I would me much quicker in this car than anything else I can think of, as it is so easy to drive and stable.

The instrument displays and switchgear and centre console were excellent, and the steering wheel second only to that in the F488. Feel through the wheel seemed good, but not up to F488 standard.

I walked away from the car hating only the seats, disliking the alcantara, liking most things about the car, and loving the engine.

However, I did not feel that I loved and desired the Huracan Performante. I would be happy with it, and would prefer it on track to anything else, but I did not feel I HAD to have it.

In conclusion, the F488 remains more desirable to me.

And when I drove home in my i8, I did not feel that I was in a worse car - just a car with different strengths
Appreciate 1