View Single Post
      02-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
derrick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, i03 i3s, f80

Talking MY19 BMW i3s 120ah (Jucaro Beige, Coilovers, AC Schnitzer, Sweat)

Hi All... I'm going to bore you a bit with some background info. Please fast forward below if you just want to see photos!

Its been awhile since I've posted on any bimmerpost (m3post, e90post, etc..) forums. I've had a few different cars throughout the years that led me to these particular forums mostly: e92 335i, e39 540i wagon, e60 m5, e92 m3 (current).

About 9 years ago, like many, I took a keen interest in the potentials of EVs and the reality that Tesla helped propel. This ultimately led me to committing to a Tesla Model S P85 (Car #573 built in 2012). The Model S was life changing since it enabled (forced) me to:
  • Convert our home to solar
  • stop purchasing gas regularly
  • Receive incentives after credits
  • Plan long distance trips differently
  • listen to people preach about how EVs are dumb...

Being that my car was a 2012 S P85, I'd compare to owning the 1st-gen iPhone. No sensors, no auto drive, no frills (besides instant acceleration), just good ol' EV performance & not having to get petro. This was perfect for me then, and its perfect for me now. Fast forward to today, and the sort of performance available, that P85 seems like a dog

MY 2019 i3s
Late last year, I was involved in a crash that left the Model S a total loss. Forunately, my wife & son weren't in the car, and I walked away with minor bruising & scratches. The car was paid off with all major components already replaced or updated under warranty; it was in peachy condition until the car smackdown. I was ready to drive it into the ground... Just not so soon. What was next?

It didn't take me long to considering the BMW i3s... Close friends & family thought I wasn't serious because of the "size" and looks of the car -- I didn't care -- I just loved BMWs & this one has what I needed.

The i3s made sense because:
  • I wanted another EV
  • That had comparable range for city-driving (150miles)
  • Was fun to drive
  • Affordable* - Stellar lease deals you all should be familiar with.

Range & Power
I'm impressed with the battery & range the 2019 models received, as its quite accurate. At a full charge, even with the occasional stop-light to stop-light warrior stomps, I'm getting consistently 140-155 miles out of a full charge.

Coming from the 2012 P85 Model S thats rated at 260mi range, I truly received about 180-190miles out of that 85kw battery. Its a heavier car, put down tons of power, and obviously an older generation. I'm not complaining but, if we're comparing range, between the two, the 2019 i3s is NOT far behind.

The i3s charge has lasted longer throughout the week on lesser kW usage which is a +. Again, I'm comparing a car from 2012 vs 2019.

Enjoyability (Suspension/Spacers)
First drive home on the freeway from Murrieta to San Diego, CA, 18 wheelers were making the car squirm. Not the most pleasant feeling but hell.... I knew what I had to do.

Spacers - 20mm in the rear, 15mm in the front. This solved the squirminess.

Suspension - I installed H&R Race Springs at first, but I took those off after 3 weeks. The ride was jarring and I HATED not having any adjustability. Stock ride on the i3s is a bit stiff and spirited already, but the H&Rs had a bounce that made me feel sorry for any passengers.

I researched quite a bit and decided to throw on a set of Megan Coilovers. There are mixed feelings about these coilovers, but for something I'm just using for a couple years, not tracking, and give me the ability to adjust for comfortable dampening & height, I'm in... They've been on for about 3.5 months and I couldnt be more pleased. If there are other options to try, I'm all ears, but for now, these are great.

The Mod itch... AC Schnitzer
"What they make that for that car?" -- I'm sure a lot of you have heard that at one point or another... Forum members are going to be the 1st to know anything and everything about their topic, but the reaction from people seeing our cars "modded" is comical.

Anyway, who cares about them, this isn't about that. Its about ME. So do what makes you happy, in this scenario, I felt like the ACS Splitter & Roof Spoiler made me happy.

Everyone mods differently and makes choices based on their own research/advice. I want to thank each & everyone of you thats contributed to the forums here. Special thanks to the guy that posted a patchy YouTube suspension DIY, where you are (it helped me figure out I needed a stick & second person for the rears. )

I do all the work myself, even the prep, shoot & clear of the reflectors... Probably the hardest work was getting them off. --- More photos & updates to come.

Follow on Instagram for random posts & updates if you're interested!
https://www.instagram.com/i3oobie/

Last edited by derrick; 02-06-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 9