Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
You may be right, but it's a waste of energy trying to complain when BMW isn't going to change. If the option was no manual and DCT-only vs. manual and 8AT, I think we're all going to take the latter.

Also, in before someone brings up Porsche and their continuous use of PDK, why can't BMW?
A big reason why Porsche must use PDK is because mid/rear engine cars pretty much have to because of packaging. Modern torque converter planetary automatics are too long. This is also way performance front engine FWD cars (or FWD based AWD) use DCTs or manual only as well. Cars like the GTI/Golf R, the Focus RS, Civic Type R, Veloster N, Civic Si, either are DCT or manual only because a torque converter automatic in a transverse configuration is severely compromised for use in a performance car.

Obviously Porsche and other mid engined cars are longitudinal, but they drive the rear wheels so need a transaxle with limited space in the back. Look at the new C8 corvette. They go mid engine so they changed from torque converter auto to DCT. That's why cars like the RS4/5/6, M3/M4/M5/M8 can all use torque converter automatics since they use a front engine RWD layout. Audis are a bit weird but since they have longitudinal engine configurations and it's easier to fit a long transmission in the front of the car, we can just pretend they are RWD cars.

Finally, I'm sure Porsche could fit a ZF 8HP in the back if they really wanted to. But they're Porsche. They charge a lot of money for the little things.
Appreciate 5
The_Werm212.00
dezzracer1182.50
clee1982797.50
mkoesel7509.50
BPMSport3386.50