kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
Why do you guys care *so* much about the lack of dct? I mean, you could just buy another car with it, instead of the new m2. You could also consider for a brief moment that the zf8 will be upgraded for m2 duty, instead of criticising before it’s even out. There is no reason the torque converter couldn’t approach dct shift speeds to the point that it makes no difference, it already has in fact. The trend today is back to torque converters for torquey applications. Besides, every shitbox today has a dct anyway
Because every iteration of ZF8 BMW M put out so far is lackluster compared to M-DCT, including F90. It annoys the hell out of me when transmission’s manual mode response is delayed when driving fast which the ZF8 is.

It also brings the engine redline down to 7200 rpm due to oil cavitation in the gearbox, whereas MT/DCT are rated at 9,000 rpm. Torque converter is in no way a sports car transmission as it inherently limits the engine capability rather than embracing by a margin.

Last thing I want is M car becoming a poser car for people who cannot drive. It should be the car inspiring one to be a better driver by encouraging drivers to push the limits with visceral sensation. Stick with normal BMWs for smooth operating cars.
pbar1400.00