09-25-2020, 04:35 AM   #17
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuyockerinsf View Post
I have a 2014 with 17,100 miles. I wonder if the cars affected are higher mileage, driven hard/ constant use of launch control, warmer climate region and specific Model year? What are the common denominators? I live in the Bay Area, California that has moderate climate temperature all year round.

My I8 is out of coverage. I am contemplating of purchasing an extended warranty. I got recently quoted $9,200 for 3 years/ 36,000 miles of extended warranty coverage by BMW Dealership. Is it a good or bad deal?
There doesn't seem to be a common thread among owners that have had this problem. My most recent viewer told me he had 4k miles on a 2015 and the AC just stopped working. $18k repair because the compressor scroll broke up sending metal all throughout the lines. He was in Puerto Rico, however, where it's warmer. But, please understand, the AC is running even when it's ideal if you are charging or discharging the high voltage battery. That includes driving around town at low speeds, and regenerating.

BMW dealerships mark up their extended warranties. Try to negotiate 25% off, preferably on the last day of the month when they have the chance to compare profits to what they can afford to discount.