Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
Did you have a backup plan if the EA chargers were out of commission? Like paying for others nearby? That would be my biggest concern.
OP likely had a ton of options on that route, but I just made my second trip across Pennsylvania and back this past weekend where charging is a little more scare (it's pretty rural in the center of the state) so might address your concern better. My 1 stop each way was in State College, PA, at an EA station and my estimated SOC at that charging stop was 10-15% each way with absolutely no other fast chargers within 70 or so miles.

I really had no anxiety for it, though... I've charged at EA a good 25 or so times in the last 6 weeks I have had the car and have had plenty of issues, but getting to know EA (knowing to hold up on the handle when connected, that EA stating there was an issue with your charge doesn't mean anything, knowing they could reset "unavailable" chargers, etc.) has made the experience a little better in terms of actual resulting reliability. I still wouldn't call them reliable by any means, but I have yet to leave an EA station without a charge.

If EA was completely down, there were about 20 Level 2 chargers at more walkable areas within 5 miles... I could have found something to do for an hour or 2 while I charged enough to get to and pay at the next fast charger near my route. Obviously not ideal, but it's not like you're talking about being completely stranded.

In fact, on my way back from Pittsburgh, the EA station is not exactly convenient to my route to get a charge that will get me back to State College (since I was arriving below 50% each time). The first time I took the trip, I stopped at an EVgo station which was a little closer and paid for a 20 minute charge. This past time, I moved my car from my hotel valet (which didn't have chargers), to a garage with free Level 2 Charging the morning of my departure. The garage was at a great location where I was able to do some shopping, sight seeing, and grab lunch over about about 3 hours before I wanted to head back. I used "PlugShare" to find it. It was a CharePoint charger at the garage, so I now have EVgo and ChargePoint accounts/apps at the ready if ever needed.
PABrian149.50