View Single Post
      09-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #83
nomerlot
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
OP's post#1 says 4800lb, which is the curb weight, and that is published data from BMW that does not need BOM nor teardown details.

Focusing the discussion towards weights of floorpan, cowl, front rails, etc. per your definition of platform appears to be missing the point, namely, that hefty 4800lb likely does not help fuel efficiency.

E.g. BMW publishes 300 miles of range for 81.5kWh(usable), or 3.65 miles/kWh.

The i3@3000lb with 30kWh(usable) goes 150 miles, or 5 miles/kWh.

Tesla Model 3 is around 4 miles/KWh, or 26kWh/100 miles per EPA.

So yes, BMW has a dedicated EV platform (i3 with CFRP) that are 20-25% more efficient than Model 3, while BMW's hybrid platform(e.g. i4 ) is not based on published numbers.
Not quite on the i3, the i3 that does 150 miles (153 per EPA) has a 38kWh battery (useable, thereabouts). I have attached a screengrab from EPA.

Therefore efficiency is still not quite at Tesla levels, but we are comparing an 8 year old EV with state of the art so not totally fair.

--------

I don't think weight is that big of a deal especially for highway driving but in answer to the OP, as has already been said it is not a dedicated platform it also has a bigger battery than for example Tesla Model 3 LR.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0