M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

[QUOTE=racerbruce;26153123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post

Wowie!
Now, I DID NOT expect to see my Belgium and UK friends posting about CCR....they were a very influential band in my life....here's why:

The US mandated a draft of all 18 yr olds to "join" the military....I was a 2H exempt status due to my full time college student status....as the Vietnam war escalated in the early 70's, the exemption was taken away and they replaced it with a "draft lottery" based upon your birthday....the numbering system ranged from 1 - 365....they began drafting at 1 and kept going....based upon my birth date, my lottery number was 112....as I watched the lottery grow into the 70's and then 80's and then 90's and then it broke 100, it became evident my full time college status would not prevent me from being drafted....I knew several friends and acquaintances that went to Vietnam....some never returned except in a body bag and others returned and were warped from the horror of this war; I purposed in my heart that I WOULD NOT GO TO VIETNAM....and made a conscious decision that if I was drafted, I would immediately leave San Diego and head for the Canadian border....never to return to the US; fortunately, the lottery stopped and I was able to graduate from college and remain in San Diego.

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no
Some folks are born silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no
Some folks inherit star spangled eyes
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord
And when you ask them, "How much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer "More! More! More!" yoh
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no military son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, one
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no no no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son, no no no
It was indeed extremely fortuitous for you that the lottery stopped before you started packing for Canada.
Cassius Clay the ex boxer was ordered to go to Vietnam and he cited he was a minister and a conscientious objector to the war. After he was convicted to 5 years in prison the Supreme Court acquitted him on human grounds and after more various too-ing and fro-ing and a decision of one person overnight he was finally let off.
Appreciate 1