View Single Post
      11-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Aston Martin Vantage ---> BMW i8?

Okay guys so I've got a bit of an unusual dilemma. I currently own a 2019 Aston Martin Vantage. In fact only just got it a month ago. Prior to that I had a 2012 Aston Martin Vantage.

i8's have always been on mind. But the small engine and potentially bad resale always made me stay away from it. Now I absolute love the Aston and it's a BEAST of a car. Love how it makes me feel when I drive and of course has the brand pedigree and then some. So I am really in a confused state of mind where I don't want to get rid of it.

NOW on the other hand, couple of more so practical reasons have been bugging me and making me thinking of getting rid of the Aston and picking up a 2016 i8 for pretty much half the price. My Aston's MSRP is 195K (now what I paid) and the dealer I know has a 2016 i8 with 22K km's for $84KCDN.

Now the biggest and first reason why I am contemplating this is the financial factor. As mentioned the Aston isn't quite cheap and I am paying quite a bit for it. Presumably i8 being half the price would be half the cost. I've been thinking now the Aston is gonna be parked for 6 months or so (Alberta winters) and I am going to be paying an arm and a leg for it the entire time without even enjoying it (other than looking at it everyday).

Which ties into my second reason, being that it's a car that I can really only drive 4-5 months in Alberta, is it worth having for the money at this stage in life at 33 (not in a position to have 'fuck you' money and not care about finances/have enough to do whatever). OR do I get a car like the i8 which is also (at-least) visually appealing and different like the Aston but something I am ALSO going to be able to drive year round for the most part while paying half the price.

I have been having inner struggle over this for a while now and I need to make a decision. Practical side says do it and emotion side says don't. Also concerned about i8's reliability once out of warranty due to how many issues I keep reading about. Struggle is such that in a way it's taken away from the feeling of extreme awe I should be in for finally being able to get one of my dream cars (for the second time).

If I make the move, I know I will still enjoy the exclusivity in the i8 as I do in the Aston (perhaps not as much - but definitely the physically different and unique aspect). This is important to me. But would I enjoy driving the i8 as I do the Aston? Admittedly though I barely drove the Aston for 2 days before parking it. Or am I going to regret it? I know I will definitely miss the exhaust note of the Aston without the doubt, especially with my sports quad exhaust option! The thing sounds heavenly. I can't stress enough. Follow on Instagram 'auto.fanatics' if anyone wants a listen. Just a very new Instagram account I made for all my vehicles I owned/go through recently.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I crazy for feeling this way? Please try to be unbiased in your opinions.

Last edited by ksa; 11-20-2019 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0