View Single Post
      12-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #84
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Maxhaust just called me back and they solved my problem!

It seems that the Maxhaust Sound Module completely lost its firmware when I loaded a different i8 configuration file. Luckily this can be easily fixed using their app. I had to select the "software" function from their app, and once it saw that the sound module had no firmware, it presented an option to download and update the device.

I also obtained the following info while I was on the phone with Maxhaust:

1. Maxhaust has confirmed everything I documented in my post #79 (above).

2. Maxhaust also specifically confirmed I could install a switch (as documented in #79), or a "loopback" connector (also as documented above), to allow switching between the Maxhaust and BMW sound modules. (They also seemed to think it would be a pretty neat idea.)

3. Maxhaust also confirmed that the Maserati and Maxhaust sound modules/harness are plug and play pin-compatible. So once you set up your car for either module, you can easily switch between modules by just unplugging one harness/module and swapping in the other one.

4. The Rep also told me (in passing) that I would likely be happier with the sound quality produced by the Maserati Sound Module (vs their new module)

As I've noted before, the sound quality and performance from the Maxhaust Sound Module is pretty poor. It sounds more like a joke than something appropriate for a $170K vehicle. Maybe on a little Fiat it could get some laughs...

Its somewhat surprising for them to admit their new module wasn't as good as someone else's (Maserati). However, I'm not trying to throw the tech under the bus or anything and I actually respect the company even more for their honesty. If you are considering exhaust augmentation for your i8 however, you should know about this BEFORE you make your purchase! The new Maxhaust Sound Module might be cheaper and have more adjustments to play with, but the Maserati Sound Module has better sound quality. Maybe the Maxhaust Sound module will improve over time, but right now, its not particularly impressive.

I already have my order in for the Maserati Sound Module and I'm going to replace their harness connectors and modify my wiring (as in post #79) so I can easily switch back to BMW factory sound at any time (or use the Maxhaust or Maserati sound modules as I please)
Appreciate 0