View Single Post
      01-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #45
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You've only got yourself to blame for the closures. When governments try to get ahead of the curve and put mild measures in place early, people lose their fucking minds. Then the shit hits the fan and they are forced to shut it all down because the health system cannot handle the volumes we are seeing.
I don't think that's correct. School closures were announced in March 2020 to take effect right after the break, at which point they also declared a state of emergency and put other restrictions in place. What "mild measures" were there or enacted before they announced shutting schools down in 2020? I'm not aware of any? And if there was none, then can you see why I get upset when every single time they decide to do something, it usually involves closing the schools.

I'm ok wearing a mask if that's going to do something. I'm ok if they want to impose capacity limits if that's going to result in a tangible difference (though I respect the rights of those owners who are impacted to disagree and challenge it since that's their livelihood). I'm ok with closing liquor sales at 9pm if that's going to make a tangible difference.

I'm not ok with them closing schools. Regardless of whether it makes a tangible difference or not. Dumbasses don't seem to have figured out that parents with young children also can't work if they are home making sure their children are getting a sufficient education and the economic ripple of that, unless said parents then work till midnight after their kids go to bed to try to keep the boat afloat. And then that's not good for a relationship / marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I have been pro lockdown but feel we should let this variant rip as it is mild but we are out of nurses, we literally do not have the staff to handle the influx. I am not sure what other option there was?

Re. Eye-opening for the wife, I am telling you right now, this is way harder than you realise. I travel to the US maybe three times a year to meet with managers there that report to me and it is at the point i need to apply for a visa because I keep getting hammered for it by border control. Their position is simple, if you need to be there three times a year, you need to hire someone in the US.
Yeah, I think Omicron is a gift in a way and we should let it rip. People who chose not to get vaccinated will likely gain natural immunity (and yeah, some people will die, but people die of all sorts of other things that we find perfectly acceptable and don't blast all over the news as though armageddon is upon us). Those that are vaccinated will probably have mild symptoms and effectively get boosted.

Here's something I'd like you to opine on. They are currently considering (I don't think its final, but looks like it might be) telling healthcare workers that if they have COVID, that they can still come to work. Meanwhile, they laid off say 20% of healthcare workers because they chose bodily autonomy and decided not to get the vaccine. Why does it not make sense to have those workers come back who aren't sick, do their jobs instead of getting someone who actually has COVID to be doing the job and spreading the virus, while feeling like crap, which probably results in a subpar job? This policy makes little sense to me.

And yeah, I think going to the States is going to be extremely difficult, it's a last ditch option, but it is an option and we'll consider it. One poster mentioned something about a wealth criteria and if that exists at the level he thinks it is, if we sell our house here, we shouldn't have a problem meeting that, but that's something I'll have to look into. I doubt it is at that level, because I know the Cayman Island requires something like $1-2M of net worth being transferred to work there. Can't imagine the States would be so much lower.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3132.50