View Single Post
      01-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #55
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I don't think that's correct. School closures were announced in March 2020 to take effect right after the break, at which point they also declared a state of emergency and put other restrictions in place. What "mild measures" were there or enacted before they announced shutting schools down in 2020? I'm not aware of any? And if there was none, then can you see why I get upset when every single time they decide to do something, it usually involves closing the schools.

Here's something I'd like you to opine on. They are currently considering (I don't think its final, but looks like it might be) telling healthcare workers that if they have COVID, that they can still come to work. Meanwhile, they laid off say 20% of healthcare workers because they chose bodily autonomy and decided not to get the vaccine. Why does it not make sense to have those workers come back who aren't sick, do their jobs instead of getting someone who actually has COVID to be doing the job and spreading the virus, while feeling like crap, which probably results in a subpar job? This policy makes little sense to me.
I think it is very tough, we have a very conservative government in power who would obviously prefer not to close down, it riles their base and there is an election looming. The reason we get in this mess is as I described, when things are OKish and the government tries to keep some semblance of care going, people go absolutely insane, inevitably this leads to a mass outbreak the system just cannot handle. I just got back from my booster and the line up at the hospital was insane, as in to get in for treatment not a shot. It must have been 20 cars deep.

For your second point, one thing that has confused me or should I say been unclear, is the spread from vaccinated people vs the unvaxed. Right now, we need all hands on deck so yeah i'd be tempted to bring back the unvaxed unless the numbers say they are much more likely to spread the bug. The underlying numbers are extremely encouraging, we are adding 10 or so folks a day to the ICU over what, 40, 50, 60, 100K cases day? Those are MUCH, MUCH better ratios than we saw with any other variant, no comparison.

Until now I have not supported the US red state positions of just pretend it is not there, the death rate is unbelievable for a first world nation and the entire attitude that permeates from the USA, this sort of lack of community or lack of social awareness and consideration, would concern me re. uprooting my family to go live there. And again, I say that as someone who would boot out JT in a heartbeat, cannot stand the sight of that giblet.

I also have concerns, especially in red states, about the school system and guns in schools. That will upset the americans who bother to read this but it is what it is, on a global scale there is really nowhere else civilized that tolerates firearms the way they do down there.

I also find, the more I visit and do business there this whole "small government, freedom and liberty" thing only really extends to the federal government. The amount of power, influence, beurocracy and general waste the states and municipalities have is just insane. The entire system is ridiculously layered and complex. We have staff in Ontario, NB, NS and QC and all those combined are less paperwork and hassle to deal with than any single US State, keeping track of garnishings alone is completely crazy.

I am getting into the weeds I guess but go in eyes open, all is not what it seems in regards to "hands off" government, i mean municipalities have the ability to charge income tax... ... .it's just so....... there are so many layers man.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7929.00