03-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #15
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
A few things, you say you’re only experience is with the C5, the C6 is different is quite a few ways. First off C5 doesn’t have the LS2 engine but the LS1 which has 50 less hp, 35 less tq then the LS1 in the C5. LS2 has basically the same Hp, tq as the high performance C5 Z06.

You’re a bigger guy than the average Joe so it’s not crazy that you didn’t find the normal sized seating interior cramped. Although my 6’ 3” 240lb buddy(RIP) was quite comfortable driving my C6 which has a bit more leg room than the C5 does. A lot of guys your size have a harder time in many two seat sports cars.
Handling is garbage compared to BMW? Don’t know how you come up with that conclusion. I will say that the C5 suspension and handling was very good in its day and the C6 was improved with better settings and minor changes. Just comparing a C6 Z51 to other sports cars of the time including the 911 and E90 m3 of the same era and they were back and forth in track performance. I would say your Corvette opinion is quite off base with that assessment.
Interior, I’ll give you that to a certain extent. It’s not up to par with most other sports car but the C6 weighs in a bit shy of 3,200lbs. That’s a very nice number and we all know weight savings is a very important factor in sports car performance. Corvette also usually comes in at best bang for the buck sports car comparisons.
We should also remember that the OP is talking about a Z06 C6 which is a huge leap up from from the base C6 let alone the C5 in handling, power, everything.

I have owned 6-7 Corvettes. First was a C5 Coupe and the a FRC model because I liked the look better. They had the LS1. Then moved onto the C5Z with the LS6. I think I had 2 of them over the years. These cars are so easy to modify, and easy to tune if you like that kind of thing.

I moved to a C6Z, did the usual modifications..etc.

The thing is like one of the previous posters mentioned, all of my Corvettes had 500-600+ hp to the rear wheels. In a 3200lb car, it's more than enough. My wife wouldn't even ride with me in one of my builds as it was scary.

I currently have a C6 with the LS3. Exhaust, Intake, and a "baby cam" and the car puts down 460hp/460tq to the wheels. This is plenty. It's docile and could be used as a daily, but it has enough power to give you that "fix" when you need it.

Interiors have always been a sore spot with these cars until the C7 IMO. But there are plenty of aftermarket stuff out there to basically make it how you like it.

My next car will be a C7 Grand Sport. A little exhaust work and you have the sound and all the added power you could need unless you are at the track every week.

Pick what makes you happy. And I will say this.......I have literally beat the sh!t out of every one that I have owned. But I also maintained them. Only had an issue once, and that was me launching at the track with borrowed slicks and stock half-shafts.

Other than that, I was never scared to get in the car and drive it across the country.