Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
... It all goes back to that computer system and the way it has balanced between the two motors. Unless that can be changed in order to maintain the balance that currently exists, I believe only bad will come out of modding. So you're going to need a computer programmer who knows how the car is programmed and also knows how to maintain the balance when the horsepowers are increased. ...
As long as the power boost is not completely out of this world, I wouldn't worry about this too much. The drive control system doesn't have a fixed, pre-programmed answer for any given power balance situation in the standard setup. It goes by sensor read-outs - wheel spin, steering angle, pedal input, ... It reduces front and / or rear wheel power if it detects a potentially unstable situation, reads the sensors again, corrects again if necessary, and so on. Several times a second.

If there's a little more power from the engnines, the computers will see it as a slightly slippier road. Nothing more. So, deepnding on what tires you run and what road you're on, you may find the stability control to show its face more often in low grip situations with more power being produced.
Appreciate 0