05-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #66
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Can you imagine what will happen to BMW when Telsa comes out with the $35000usd Model 3. Musk will be the battery king by then... Tesla just announced the PowerWall. Tesla will diversify beyond and be highly competitive compared to where they are now. Tesla is only just beginning.
If they can get that out in the next year they will survive. They will do nothing major to any major car maker. There is a solid market for an all electric car (trust me I own a few), but it is not mainstream. The range limitation combined with recharge infrastructure will keep them a niche/second car market for a long time to come. If I am driving across the country I am not willing to stop every 200 miles for a 1 hour recharge (even assuming super charger). And if I am driving in Colorado I don't have access to recharge in the mountains.

Also keep in mind that IF electric cars become more common the recharge/infrastructure becomes more of an issue. There would have to be a lot of available slots in a recharge station if 10% of the cars on the road were electric.

Part of why I love the i8 is the balance. I can drive electric, and I can go far. I do not like the Volt/REX approach.

In some ways the ideal approach would be all electric hydrogen fuel cell. All the benefits of the all electric drive, with the ability to 'refuel' in about 5 minutes.

Last edited by Epirali; 05-06-2015 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: added
Appreciate 0