View Single Post
      04-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #25
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Well, you're sort of stuck since your car is in pieces at the shop.

But both my ex-wife's and my car were over 2 years old when we had our respective claims. I think hers was 3 years old. Mine was 5 years old. Yet my shop was able to get factory parts for both. Yes, all insurance companies will tell you the official party line about using factory parts. Then there's the reality when you have a good shop.

My shop appeases the insurance companies by going through their process and then showing with clear proof why an aftermarket or junk yard part will not work. It takes more time from their end to do this but they do for valued customers or those that they know are anal retentive about their cars. In the end, it's their reputation. My insurance company require junk yard/reconditioned parts for my 135i. The shop went through the process and got a new bumper cover and two new LCI adaptive headlight assemblies among other genuine BMW parts....again on a 5 year old car.

ETA: And my shop is not BMW certified but their work is still top notch. They matched the paint on my car perfectly (carbon black), along with my ex-wife's Acura RDX (metallic black), and my Ducati 848 (pearl white).
Yep, did all that. Gave them documentation from the IIHS, an Insurance agency backed group, saying aftermarket safety equipment like bumpers are not up to OEM spec and shouldn't be used. Cited a number of OEM studies showing that garbage is not up to spec and what happens when an airbag is deployed just 6 milliseconds late due to the design of the bumper being slightly off. Hint, it's NOT good.

Anyway, none of that seems to matter as they are holding firm. I'm demanding to talk to the supervisor and threatening to open a case with the WA state insurance commissioner.
Appreciate 0