03-03-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I'm reviving this thread to get some input from owners and those that have hands on experience with the iX.

Is the cargo area really as small as it appears in video? My wife is coming out of a 958 Cayenne (previous gen) and in watching the video, she's quite disappointed by the seemingly small cargo area on the iX.

By the measurements it doesn't seem that small. But looking at it, it looks underwhelming. The current X5 (and Cayenne for that matter) both have cargo areas bigger than hers. I'm probably ok with staying the same size. She's gotten past the looks and even the prospect of having a second EV...but she can't get past the cargo size.

I'm glad it's coming to town in two weeks. Looking forward to seeing it in person and hoping I can convince her to come along and see it and compare to her Cayenne. I think I can since that's our kids spring break and she's taking off the days that the cars are in town and we have no plans.
It *is* definitely smaller than the X5 and I think the relatively small boot space is the biggest downside of the iX. However, I went into it comparing it to the Landrover Defender as that was what we almost bought a couple of months ago. As a result, I was a bit disappointed with the boot space after my first test drive as I felt it was a *lot* smaller than the Defender, which I had expected. I forgot to bring my tape measure though.

When I went back for a second test drive with my wife, she pointed out that it was bigger than our current car's (a Land Rover Freelander 2) and I was surprised to see she was right. I think it looks a bit smaller than it actually is because of how flat the sides are and the sloping rear door. The flat area of the rear boot is bigger than you think and after looking at my photos of the Defender, the area is actually bigger in the iX (about 1.15 m^2 compared to about 1 m^2) but the Defender's is obviously *much* taller.

On my first visit, I also briefly looked into an X3 and the boot in that felt considerably smaller despite having a roughly similar total volume. From pictures I've seen online, I think the X3 has a ~1 m^2 cargo area.

So the iX's boot space is a downside but it's not quite as bad as I'd initially anticipated. What *is* really stupid though, is the rear parcel shelf. It's solid and there's nowhere to put it inside the car when not in use so practically, I'm going to have to store that somewhere in my house because we'll occasionally want to put our dogs in there or things that are taller than the shelf. I wish they'd gone with a retractable one or made it fold so that it could be stored in the flat space beneath the cargo floor.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6599.00
Paladin15556.00