Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
It *is* definitely smaller than the X5 and I think the relatively small boot space is the biggest downside of the iX. However, I went into it comparing it to the Landrover Defender as that was what we almost bought a couple of months ago. As a result, I was a bit disappointed with the boot space after my first test drive as I felt it was a *lot* smaller than the Defender, which I had expected. I forgot to bring my tape measure though.

When I went back for a second test drive with my wife, she pointed out that it was bigger than our current car's (a Land Rover Freelander 2) and I was surprised to see she was right. I think it looks a bit smaller than it actually is because of how flat the sides are and the sloping rear door. The flat area of the rear boot is bigger than you think and after looking at my photos of the Defender, the area is actually bigger in the iX (about 1.15 m^2 compared to about 1 m^2) but the Defender's is obviously *much* taller.

On my first visit, I also briefly looked into an X3 and the boot in that felt considerably smaller despite having a roughly similar total volume. From pictures I've seen online, I think the X3 has a ~1 m^2 cargo area.

So the iX's boot space is a downside but it's not quite as bad as I'd initially anticipated. What *is* really stupid though, is the rear parcel shelf. It's solid and there's nowhere to put it inside the car when not in use so practically, I'm going to have to store that somewhere in my house because we'll occasionally want to put our dogs in there or things that are taller than the shelf. I wish they'd gone with a retractable one or made it fold so that it could be stored in the flat space beneath the cargo floor.
Roger on the parcel shelf. And more frustrating is that the flat space immediately forward (towards the front), under the cargo floor, almost fits the cover right now, and with just a (seemingly) minor tweak in upholstery design could accommodate the shelf (and this space is fairly useless for anything else - couple of inches deep and nearly the width of the car). It might hold a few pizza boxes, or several of your old Beatles albums, or maybe your Frizbee collection when you walk your dog.
Appreciate 3
Needsdecaf6599.00
PhilD165.50
ggalanis2448.00