View Single Post
      07-18-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
Test drove the i4 M50 offered by a local dealership, which sold us several BMWs over the years, including our 2015 i8. The i4 M50 test car's portimao blue exterior paint was strikingly beautiful. Also, the car proved surprisingly agile and offers a comparable ride to my Porsche Taycan Turbo, though it feels slightly taller in stance behind the wheel. The sales representative wanted to impress us with how quickly the car sprints. So we performed several runs on a private road (both from launch control and rolling start) between the 2020 Taycan Turbo and the i4 M50, which lagged noticeably behind the Porsche. Perhaps the lag was due in part to this particular test car. The other issue for me as well as my wife was the huge grills that the i4 sports. On the plus side, BMW's PCM and software are significantly better than Porsche. Overall, I think the i4 M5 is a great all-around performance EV in contrast to what's currently available. As for me, the front grills may require some getting used to. However, it's a non-starter for my wife, the one who's looking to purchase another vehicle.
You are right about the Taycan Turbo being quicker, which is no surprise. Car and Driver tested them both (it was a Turbo S, but aside from when using launch control, I think the Turbo has the same hp). With launch a non-factor, the Taycan did a rolling 5-60 mph in 2.9 seconds, the i4 did 3.5. (For reference, a ‘15 i8 did 4.6) I like that metric better than 0-60 because I will never use launch control on the street. I have owned 4 cars with that feature and have never used it once. As for 0-60, Car and Driver got 3.3 seconds for the i4 which is a very good time. I’m sure your Taycan is under 3 seconds. I don’t think my stomach can handle much more acceleration than that. When I test-drove a Taycan Turbo I did launch it twice, and frankly, it made me a little queasy. The i4 is quick enough for me and its size suits me better, in fact, I put my order in today. As for the grill, well…I’m hoping it grows on me.

Last edited by MichaelJohn; 07-18-2022 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0