03-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #17
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Electric or something else is the future. ICE is going away for good. There's gonna be a generation of drivers (very soon if not here already) that dgaf about what an engine sounds like or any of that. Im looking forward to it.

Hopefully we'll still all have the sound of rubber on road.
Hah! Speak for yourself, I hope the rubber becomes inaudible too! I didn't realise *quite* how much quieter modern EVs are until I test drove the iX (first full EV I've been in). Cabin volume isn't something I ever used to care about but in the last couple of years it's become so much more important to me, after the birth of my son. When it was just the wife and I, we'd be able to have conversations in the car just fine because she'd be in the front passenger seat. Since my son was born, she'll usually be in the back seat with him and it's a *lot* harder to chat. Obviously, I'm facing away from her so it makes it harder in general but I have to raise my voice, which feels unnatural and I can't hear what she's saying unless she raises her voice too. Now admittedly, our current ICE is quite old and newer cars are better but not significantly so. The silence of the iX was a *significant* factor in my decision to go with an EV. I think as our kids get older, it'll be more and more important.

The silence and smoothness of my first drive as a passenger in the iX (he handed over to me after a few minutes) was genuinely shocking and I had an initial jolt of travel sickness because I my brain couldn't understand how we were moving.
Appreciate 1
xmanpro3094.00