View Single Post
      12-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #12
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post

5. Comfort mode goes to 63mph under normal conditions, but it is not a hard limit, rather dependent on engine load. Going down hill, I have seen this go as far as 66/67mph without activating the ICE.

6. Comfort mode provides a higher gear ratio than the e-drive in electric only. E-drive uses 1st gear, whereas comfort uses 2nd gear. Those that are cruising at steady speeds (such as a roads/motorway) and want to use electric only, will increase range quite a lot by not activating e-drive and using only comfort mode. Fine for commuting, not great if you need to go above 63mph..

There are several videos of the i8 playing in snow - winter tyres probably help a lot!
Here in the USA my 2016 i8 in e-drive hits a 75mph cut off (no matter the weather or snow). In e-drive only at I have seen it display 77mph on flats. It will accel only to 75 it seems. You feel a cut off of in power when it hits 75mph. I know the electric motors are limited to 115-120ish Horsepower but it can accel just as fast as most other cars on the road from a stop. As long as the front tires don't slip. When they do slip the power cut is very harsh and not well tuned IMHO. The cut and then return to power is much more jerky and not nearly as smooth as most EV I have tried.
Appreciate 0