bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
This car is not a competitor to a GT3. I don't think it will matter that it's relatively slow compared to other "sports" cars. This car looks amazing and is packed with technology. That will appeal to well to do people looking to make a statement (I'm green!) but aren't racers or even enthusiasts. Look how many rich people bough Priuses for the same reason. Now they can buy something that looks as exotic as an Aventador but gets fantastic mileage and, they can plug it in at the charging station next to a Chevy Volt or a Fusion plug in Hybrid.

The i8 is something new and different than what is currently available today. I think it's brilliant and if I start saving now maybe I can buy one in 3 years when they start to come off lease!

So many people here are misunderstanding the point of the i-series. The i8 isn't intended to go head to head with a 911 GT3. That's laughable. The i8 is a technology showcase. It's a lot of new technology, which means there are going to be trade-offs.

BMW isn't expecting that everyone is going to want one. They've scaled back their expectations in a big way. The buyer for this car is someone who is more interested in making a statement about their own priorities than they are getting the most performance for their dollar.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0