bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
I don't get it then. If they want a technology showcase and not something that is performance oriented, why package it as a carbon fiber, super light car with supercar-esque looks, and then take it to the Nurburgring???

If I had $125k to blow, I'd buy a 2013 Viper GTS and call it a day. Plenty of technology there. "Green" minded folk need to be educated and look into how manufacturing and disposing all those batteries affect the environment.
It's not just about technology, it's about the way the technology is used. We're not yet at a point where a performance hybrid will hold its ground with a performance petrol powered car, but someone has to take the first steps. The choice of carbon fiber is obvious. It's the strongest, lightest material you can use in the construction of an automobile. You take it to the Nurburgring because it's the best proving ground in the world for a performance oriented vehicle.

Saying "If I had $125k to blow, I'd buy CAR X and call it a day", is a really narrow minded way of framing the problem. Depending upon who you are and what you want, CAR X might be any number of things. You're still missing the point. The point is to build the best hybrid car they can, which still focuses on the things that make a BMW a BMW. I'm not saying you have to buy one. I'm not even saying you have to want one, but there are plenty of people who will.

Yes, there is a good argument that many "green" cars still have an equivalent ecological impact as a petrol powered car, depending upon how you do the accounting of macro-ecological factors, but we have to start somewhere. The fact that today's "green" cars may only break even with a petrol powered car over their lifespan is not a good reason to stop trying to improve.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0