12-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #23
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Lol, never heard that mentioned when speaking about sports cars. Your view and idea of enjoyment is so polluted by depending on sound that seemingly none of the other vehicle performance characteristics seem to even be important. Your statement reminds me of a fast & furious teenager from a decade ago who just puts an exhaust can on his Civic and rolled around making noise.

Wow, how wrong...

Who cares about driving the car on it's limit, that isn't the only way to extract fun from a car. Not one single video you make are you testing any car to the limit yet you are having fun, in all those "crappy" sounding cars that supposedly rob you of pleasure. I see plenty of smiles, so very hypocritical of you.

Of course I take each and every one car to the limit, as it is my job, but you don't see it in the video, because talking while taking it to the limit... not working so great.

If you plan on reviewing cars for a living, you are supposed to be unbiased and objective. It is understandable if you have a preference, but based on your preference if you interject that at every moment and use that opinion to say the vehicle is a failure of some sort on some level then the review is ruined for the viewer.
Take for example a person who is new to Porsche like me, never owned an air cooled or NA engine Porsche, so for me I take the car on face value. I like the new looks, the new performance intrigues me, the interior seems more enjoyable, the steering wheel is an improvement....but wait, it isn't "air cooled"....what a horrid thing....
.....a reminder of the air cooled Porsche guys, still many who always bring this up. It's a pity, you're so young and already your mind seems so old and stern on a subject....

I don't plan to review cars for living. This is what I have been doing for a bit now, just not on this youtube basis. But the fact that you tell me you are new to Porsches and new to BMW M (in the next paragraph) shows me you have no idea what you were missing out on. Because I have grown up under a motor journalist myself and grew up driving a different car every 2 weeks, I have this great ability to compare and that's why my mind seems so old and stern to you, but this is what got me some nice journalist jobs in the first place.

My F80 M3 is my first ///M car and sure I think the E92s sound better, fantastic even, but I feel zero remorse in buying the turbo inline 6, it has it's own sound and character which I love especially with an MPE. The car out performs it's predecessor by leaps and bounds. And that's what we want a better performing car, that provides a more thrilling ride.....the chasis is a huge part of that, from what I recall I have never heard you mention chasis(maybe in passing or a "side note") in your videos, an arguably way more important characteristic than an exhaust note. Suspension, throttle response, transmission, engine performance, etc all way more important and dynamic areas of vehicle performance.

I disagree. I mention all the things you just listed in many of my videos. Not always in a first drive though.

Even the die hard "three pedal" reviewers like Chris Harris can admit that a car with a DCT has it's place in the performance world. He loves sound too, makes a big deal about it in every video, yet in talking about sound or lack there of, he manages to still find enjoyment and enthusiasm for the vehicle's dynamic performance from the driver's seat. Specifically his F80 M3 video, he screams about the grip levels, even that Getawayer dude talks about sound but emphasises that there is much more than just sound alone. Yes you are no Chris,
and you are your own person, but who is the review for, yourself, a specific audience that you seek out or the general public.

Good point, and from all the feedback I got, you're the first one "complaining" (sorry I might miss the right word here) about me complaining about sound and feel. A lot of people I talk to, more than agree. But of course I can't make it right for everyone. Nevertheless I appreciate your feedback.

You are clearly biased and sadly, the foundation of your enjoyment begins with and ends with sound, as you say "sad that people settle for a less sensational driving experience nowadays only because the car is quicker"....I have literally no idea what this means. I admit that sound is part of the emotion of driving a vehicle, and very important, but as a sports car enthusiast, a mature one, it is small on the complex items that engineers need to get right in order for the car to be fast and safe.

All sports cars are fast and safe nowadays. This isn't anything worth mentioning imo.

In my opinion, a true mature enthusiast places much more emphasis on the more complex performance aspects, I can change and modify the exhaust easily with aftermarket products. The chasis, engine, suspension, throttle, and the transmission to name a few things are way more difficult to fiddle with if the car is deficient in one of those areas. Walk into an F1 pit and see what the computers are busy calculating or MotoGP where the Ducati, likely the best sounding bike in the paddock but the most complex chasis to tune and worse to control on the track, that's what keeps the engineers up at night. And while F1 has lost some of it's excitement in exhaust note it is still as amazing as ever. But to me that is to the TV viewer, because seeing a race live and hearing those machines slow down, dropping gears and hearing the waste gate dumps is pure bliss to me.

You can modify all you want. It won't make something sound better, just louder. Ok maybe a bit better but you get the point. And F1 is amazing as ever? I disagree again. Just today I read how low this seasons TV rating was overall and it's a tragedy. Cars are slower, quieter and less grippy than in the 2000s.

So again, I'd rather pick my battles as an enthusiast and more importantly a customer. Give me a great chasis, suspension, etc....if you want to muck something up, I'd rather it be the sound, which I can cheaply fix, but the chasis for example, forget it, what you get is what you get.....but no, lets talk about exhaust notes over and over and over again, oh and here's a new video, let me guess the exhaust note sucks because it's turbo, and the car is utterly unenjoyable because it has a double clutch transmission....sigh.

I never said anything about dct's. You're putting words in my mouth now. I clearly love the PDK and BMW's DCT and have always mentioned how great it is.

You've lost me as a viewer, unfortunate thing really as I like your videos but the constant berating of the sound issue is a joy-kill. You have your opinion and preference which clearly comes across in your videos. If your videos are for the public, it is something you should keep in mind. If your videos are for exhaust audiophiles, then drive on.
Again, can't make it good for everyone. Overall the feedback has been outstanding so far, but I appreciate your input. I am the one guy who wants to present his opinion, because I met too many people over the years who agree with it. And I am tired of these paid reviews by some reviewers or Shmee's free commercial for the car manufacturers, who always talk about how great everything is, instead of pointing out that we are moving into a time where the enthusiasts car will cost you $200k+. Let's see where McLaren and co will go next, because their cars are already too fast for most people, that's why they start with the 570s, to make a slower "fun" car instead of these performance monsters that look good on Hollywood Blvd., but never get to driven as hard as it could be driven. Sorry I couldn't make it right for you, but thanks anyways for checking them out

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 0