View Single Post
      02-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #19
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
One of the reasons I decided not to move up there a few years ago. Last year, doing some rough math, my total tax burden (including federal, state, fica, insurance premiums, etc ) was about 27% - which as you said would just cover my federal tax bill somewhere like Canada

I'm sure, however, that's a lot easier to accept for Canadians who grew up with that being the way it always was.

In America, we don't have a majority of people who are OK paying higher taxes in order to subsidize everyone's health care. A plurality - sure. By and large, we want taxes to be lowered.
So I do love my country but the fact is we are being taxed to death, and it's getting worse. Our healthcare isn't as great as everyone tells you. Our wait times are terrible, and unless you live in a large city or close to one you don't have a lot of services available to you so you're going to have to travel to get some services. Having said that if you have an emergency you will get excellent care. Because our system is government run, it is burdened down with bureaucracy, studies have shown that our healthcare system is more heavily administered than most others globally. I will say this though, about a decade ago I spent several months in the hospital, 3 major surgeries, multitudes of tests about a dozen CT scans and then the follow up care. The only bill I saw was for the TV I had in my room.
Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
Hawkeye2069.50