View Single Post
      03-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #44
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm sure it drives ok, its just not a $100k+ car. i haven't driven one, but i've sat in one and had a chance to explore it. the stats aren't anything to brag about, its mediocre for a $100k car. doesn't quite do anything excellent- mileage, performance, or otherwise. styling is subjective, and the i8 isn't going to win many beauty pageants.
i really feel like the market segment is a bit awkward and lukewarm.
You're right, it might not excel at everything you listed (mileage, performance, etc), but it does provide a great combination of all that. A car that performs/accelerates as well as an e92 and even F80 M3, yet provides 2-3 times better mileage. Instead of being based off a normal 3 series chassis, it also has it's own mid-engine, CFRP chassis. While looks are subjective, I can guarantee you most people would consider the i8 a great looking vehicle and not confuse it as a souped up base model car. I own a 2017 NSX and the i8 garners just as many thumbs up and looks as the NSX does. (Not my type of thing as I prefer to fly under the radar while driving.). The i8 is BMW's "affordable" Porsche 918, McLaren P1, Ferrari SF90, introduced back in 2013/2014. Many >$100k cars are also a hard sell, simply due to price and market. The Audi R8, Merc GT, McLaren 570s, Acura NSX, and even the Lambos can be had with deep discounts. If you're only looking for $/performance, almost everything over 100k is arguably "unjustifiable".
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00
AwesomeM31644.00