View Single Post
      03-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #36
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
What is the reasonable amount of power to propel a 3000 pound sedan to 60MPH (100KPH)?

200HP, 500HP, 1000HP ?

Response time of
5 seconds, 3 seconds, 1 second?

I know it's probably a blasphemy in a BMW enthusiat forum to say that acceleration time does not matter in the real world. Everyone is limited by law and traffic. Yet most vehicles are measured by their response time instead of how practical or efficient they are or how enjoyable they are to drive.

That being said, my 440i xdrive is a lot more enjoyable to drive than my C7 Corvette. It's a lot slower but it's more forgiving, more predictable, less delicate and much roomier. The C7 tried to kill me once or twice and it almost succeeded one time.
I never have to worry about bad roads or bottoming out in a 440i. I know they're not in the same league but people cross shop for vehicles in the same price range all the time.

Isn't it about time for a more practical matrix to measure performance than just power?
It depends on the car. My car is around 380hp with the Active8 but the power delivery was not as smooth as it should be. Then I drove an m240i for a month and have to say that the factory power was enough. It was only 340hp but in the smaller frame and the aggressive factory tune, it was more than enough for the street.
Appreciate 0