View Single Post
      03-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #80
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

What I have a hard time understanding is why seemingly intelligent, normal people are so willing and ready to transfer responsibility for their personal safety and the safety of their loved ones to a police force that may be on the other side of town when the call comes.

I genuinely don't understand the aversion towards self-reliance and preparedness. The only thing I can come up with is the people opposed to guns in the hands of the average citizen have never been mugged. Is it the "that won't happen to me, it just happens to other people" kind of thinking?[/QUOTE]

Even if the police are a few blocks away the time it takes to get the call dispatched and the police to respond can be a couple of minutes and that is honestly the very best case scenario. Now take a few minutes and sit looking at a clock, imagine you are in trouble and need help and watch the clock for 3 or 4 minutes. Because if you are really lucky thats how long the police are going to take.....if you are really lucky. It is often longer, and sometimes much much longer. I for one will happily dial 911 and then drop the phone so the operator can record my defending my family, myself and my home.....and I know a lot of outstanding lawyers who will later defend me. I was in law enforcement for over 30 years in a major NA city. I love the cops and have all the respect in the world for them, and I know that they cannot protect me and my family in a very meaningful way.
Appreciate 2