03-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #86
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I live in a very nice middle class neighborhood. There was a day time break in at one of the houses in my neighborhood. The residents just barely got out before the intruders made their way in. The residents of that home could only call 911 when they found another neighbor home who let them in.

So assuming one can call 911 to get police help is just assuming one can.
A lot of people have been fortunate enough to never meet violent or desperate people. They live in a bubble that says civilization will always protect them. And I hope it does for them because if they ever need to protect themself they are likely screwed. Boxing gloves and big dogs won't work.

Reality is perhaps a gun will fail. Perhaps you don't get to it in time. Maybe your aim sucks. Maybe it jams. it is just a tool.

For those who suggest working out, karate, dogs etc I submit many people can not use that route. Small elderly women are not going to be able to fend off an attacker with kung fu regardless of how cool it looks in the movies. Even a bad ass is in trouble against 3-4 attackers that have been hit before. And what if one isn't born large, strong and fast? Or is aging with medical issues?

There are no perfect answers. It does seem like those on the side of gun bans don't care about the weak amid us. How about that divorcee whose ex is a violent felon that WILL visit her in the middle of the night on a meth rage? Dial 911? Sure. It will take him all of 60 seconds to smash down a cheap apartment door and kill her. If she was lucky the cops will be there to arrest him 5 minutes later.

I'm OK with those who choose to let the system protect them. Just don't try to force me to abide by the opinion that the system will always protect me. I do not share that opinion.
Appreciate 0