03-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #1203
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
What cuts? I ran my first attempt thru the smoker on Saturday. I found some sort of almost round cut at the local store, then found a recipe from Masterbuilt (my electric smoker) that had apple cider as the main ingredient.

Firstly, apple cider is just WAY too strong a flavor. Second, I didn't think leaving a bit of fat on the edges would be an issue, but while the meat was nicely solid, the fat was still all white and jiggly. That is the dog's favorite bit. Just too far from bacon fat for my tastes. "But between the two of them, they licked the platter clean!"

This morning I dropped some thin flank steak into a mixture of Sweet Baby, beer, water, and chile pepper and just a touch of plain white vinegar. When I get home it's going in the smoker at 180 for about 5 hours.
They sell this pack of what they call "sizzle steak" at walmart. I'm guessing its like some top round sliced thin. Key is to get it as thin as possible. This last batch came out extra good because the steak was thinner than normal. I may pound it out some next time if it's not super thin.

For the marinade I use like 3 part pineapple juice (stole this looking at ingredients in one of my favorite jerkies) to 1 part soy sauce. Since the steak is very thin I only marinade a couple hours maybe like 2-3 hours.

Put them on a rack the cover with black pepper. I cook them in the smoker (but don't use smoke, becomes overwhelming since they are so thin) at around 150 for however it long it takes, usually several hours. This time around after maybe an hour or 2 I ended up falling asleep and temp rose to like 250 for maybe an hour or less. Personally I love how they came out, made them extra crispy, but did not burn. So will probably try that on purpose next time.

As for the fat... this cut is pretty lean, but does have minor fat on the edges. The fat will not preserve well so right after it's done I will usually just cut the fatty edges off and eat those right away. On mine the fat is usually cooked and super tasty, maybe yours was too thick?

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 03-25-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0