01-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i8 Digital Display Key Retrofit - DIY.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
There's been numerous threads on how to get the the Digital Key retrofit and whether it is available for our 2015 or early 2016 cars at all.

If this hasn't already been addressed, the short answer is: yes!! There is no modification to your car involved - no additional hardware retrofit required either.

I am not sure if this works on 2014 models, but it certainly works on 2015 models that were manufactured in 2015 and onward.

What you need to order:

Part #: 66129867202 - please don't order any other part number, after doing much research, it's been discovered that this part number supersedes all other part numbers for digital remote control / key.

For Reference, please use the following link on the Retrofit:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...39#66126841626

AND

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=66129867202

This part # is approximately $452.00 USD

BMW Dealership will try to sell you the integrated key, i.e. the physical laser cut key blade, but it isn't a requisite. They will also try to sell you the cable along with the key, but if you have a micro USB cable lying around, that's also not necessary.

The key takes a week to arrive as it is a coded item.

How to Program the New Key:

So, you've got the key and BMW wants to charge you 2 hours of labor to program it. Don't fall for it. It is extremely easy to mate the new key to your i8 and takes 5 minutes.

1. unlock the car with your existing key fob.
2. take the existing key fob away from the car, put it back inside the house or something such that it's not in the proximity anymore
3. take the new digital key and hold it against the steering wheel rack where it has the key symbol.
4. while holding they key against the steering wheel rack, press on the brakes and start the car

You should see a prompt on the iDrive for the new key being mated to your car.

DEMO for the aforementioned procedure:

That's it!!! Your new key is now ready.

I got suckered into buying the key blade and the cable. I am not sure how the key blade fits the new key, if anyone here knows, let me know.

Name:  file (1).jpeg
Views: 37816
Size:  282.1 KB

**** Few things to note before being skeptical: ****

- the key actually connected with my car without even being mated. However, would not lock or unlock the key or update the information on the display.
- This key mating process is actually a STANDARD BMW process for all new vehicles. i.e., youtube 'bmw key programming' and you'll see that this is how most new BMW keys are programmed
- the key is actually coded to your VIN before it is shipped
- you cannot order the key without your ownership and driver's license.

Did a lot of research and went through a lot of BS filteration before getting this to work - it really *is* that easy.

Last edited by dadasaab; 01-30-2017 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 9
Xtabi1701.50
JMD632.50
Dackelone10531.50
Niko ZV118.00