View Single Post
      08-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #528
Ras550
Private
Rep
Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
The problem with test drives is that you generally only drive the car for about 10 minutes and even that is on the freeway or side streets. It's tough to get a really good feel of the car.

I had a 335i e90 for 10 years. I regrettably traded it in for a Tesla Model S. The Tesla is a great car, very fast, and amazing tech. But I miss the driving feel of the e90. I do think that people, me included, are won over by the instant electric acceleration. But once you get used to that, you start noticing the rest of the car. The Model S at least feels very heavy and numb. I test drove the Model 3 Performance and non-Performance. It feels much lighter and more nimble than the S. But somehow, it doesn't feel connected. And the interior, for me, is lacking. But this is after a 10 minute test drive.

If I had to choose now, I would buy the M340i. Or better yet, the M2. But it just depends what you do with the car. For commuting, the Tesla is hands down better.
Agreed that the short test drives don't do full justice. I ended up doing 2 test drives for my 3P - first was focused on acceleration and the second on my insistence was testing grip and handling.

My Macan GTS test drive was limited because the dealer wasn't as flexible, but I could tell that the car was fairly soft and slowish despite what the car mags say.

Also the S is a very different beast than the 3 - The S handles great for a 5000lb car, but it is a 5000 lb car and designed as a GT.

I also came from a E90 335 (which was vastly superior to F30 in terms of ride handling balance - I've had a few multi-day F30 loaners). Couldn't be happier with my new car though).
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9704.00