View Single Post
      12-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #16
Accident
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330e, i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafelabdal View Post
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah. A 4 series Gran Coupe (reasonably priced), swapped ICE for Battery with 99% the SAME design inside & out, now sells somewhere between $65k-$75k depending on how you option it, lol.

This is what we call MARKETING at its best targeted at the consumer mentality especially here at North America. It is essentially a 4 Series Gran Coupe with a battery and:

1. No substantive tech innovation whatsoever and the design remains nearly identical.

2. Its reported range is not impressive by any means (245-300 miles) and this is under IDEAL conditions which is almost never the case. You don't drive a BMW to save on gas or in this case on electric range. You drive it as a BMW and therefore any spirited driving will decrease this modest range even more. The charging infrastructure is not there yet, at least not when compared to Tesla.

3. The production car looks NOTHING like the concept version, not in design nor in functionality.

But lets give you a rectangular touch screen instead of an in-dash touch screen and charge you up to $75K and call it the car of the future, morons.

Having said that, the car will sell like hot cakes because of the sheep consumer mentality (i.e., I have to drive the new electric BMW).

EVs will be much more competitive in terms of price and technology by 2030. for the time being, I see this as nothing more than an unnecessary toy and no different than "hey, lets get the new iPhone!".
Some of us prefer the smoothness and instant torque response of an electric car. I don't think you can get a 4 series with +500HP for much less than $65K.

Range is not a problem for most people. You can drive 600 miles with two 15 minutes stops. You start every morning with a full charge, so for city driving you never have to think about range.
Appreciate 1
Ken732.00