View Single Post
      09-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #27
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
To my understanding, and off the top of my head, it is because motorcyclists with air-cooled engines convinced enough legislators that their bikes tended to heat up sitting in traffic. When done right, it works great, especially in heavy traffic.
Well, that and the rider. We are covered in gear, not in aircon. Our aircon is, well, air. And when were stuck stationary, surrounded by running cars, we get cooked. So it is a safety thing in that aspect too.

But also it usually benefits you as well. Instead of us taking up a slot in that traffic we can move and, most importantly, move on. Even slow bikes are fast, the VAST majority of riders are far more attentive than car drivers (else theyd already be dead). I have yet to be behind a motorcyclist I have to honk at because they are scrolling Instagram instead of looking at the traffic ahead of them. And when we do go we scoot, even "slow" bikes are fast, especially at those lower speeds, due to lack of weight. Your average naked can do a 4 second zero to 60 if you're so inclined, a dog slow Triumph is still like 5.5 seconds. Almost every sportbike is 3 seconds (power isnt the limiting factor, its not flipping over backwards).

In Italy its expected behavior, to the point where you'll pull forward even if the angle means you cant see the light, and there will be 3 bikes and 4 scooters up there, and when the light turns the car behind gives you a double beep and everyone (literally everyone, including the smoking hot girl on her scooter in her dress skirt) goes WOT and takes off like the lights went off at Mugello.

Filtering isnt legal in GA but I will do it in stopped traffic, especially if its a parking lot and I can see an exit, just to get off and get moving again. I don't do it in group rides though, not much point. Only if Im with another couple of riders I know.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3078.50
540iSUP704.00