View Single Post
      12-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #25
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Why would you pay a tax guy $500 to do tax prep when you can do it yourself for $50 using TAXact? Takes about an hour and is easy as hell. I learned about this program years ago from a tax guy as this is all he uses.
Depends on your return. Simple - sure, use it. You probably won't miss much, if anything that a tax accountant would have done.

Once you start getting a little more complex, then you don't know what you are missing. Sure, you can file, but IRS won't come knocking on your door to let you know that you missed claiming a bunch of credits.

That's why a lot of people use an accountant. I tell people with simple returns that they shouldn't bother coming to me, HR Block will do it for half the price and I'm not very interested in simple returns. But I accept anything with a little complexity.

Take this guy who moved from the States - he had previously been doing his own returns. Well, took him having a conversation with someone else about child benefits for him to realize he was missing out on about $10K a year up here. Signed up the next day to make sure his return was being done right.
Appreciate 0