Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJVegita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Back in the day, I could make this argument as well. Manuals were cheaper, had better gas mileage, and in general were faster.

When I found that I could shift my GT-R at full throttle in the middle of "hogpen" at VIR without upsetting the balance or handling of the car, all that faded away.

Since then, especially the BMW automatics from ZF, the automatics are just as reliable, get great gas mileage, and shift better and faster than manuals. Don't get me wrong...manuals are more "fun". But modern auto's are so good, it's hard to take a manual over an automatic for a daily driver or purposed car.

Shawn
You mentioned it but yea it's the fun factor....there are always cars faster than yours regardless. if that is all you care about then great for you. Most of us want to have fun driving. Not just sit there and basically let it do everything for you
There's so much more to driving than just shifting. Saying an automatic "does everything for you" is a bit of a reach. But to each his own. I don't criticize those who want a manual, but head to head if dollars are the same, the automatic will retain value better, be faster at the drag strip, and be easier to sell in the private market. Oh, and have better gas mileage. That's not true for really low power cars (Miata), but the reasons for that are many. Anyway, people who love manuals, more power to you. But the world is shifting to automatics (no pun intended, but it's pretty neat)

Shawn
Disagree, A manual will actually retain a higher resale value and be easier to sell vs an auto. And when I say auto I'm including dual clutch options.

Even in a covid economy, where everything is selling like hot cakes.
Appreciate 0