BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Electric Range Estimation Algorithm

Does anyone know exactly how the i8 calculates the electric only range estimate? With my 2019 coupe, it typically shows ~ 30 miles when fully charged. I've previously had it show as much as 38 miles when the car was just a few weeks old. Today, I took the car into the mountains, using Sport mode going up and e-Drive coming down. Now the fully charged estimated range is 36 miles. Obviously the range estimate is based on past driving experience and the settings of the car (e.g. eco-pro, A/C or no A/C, etc.). But I wonder how far back in time or distance does the algorithm look for recent mileage data to use in the updated estimate. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Someone mentioned the estimated e-range is calculated using a rolling average based on the previous 20 miles or so and the current driving conditions (e.g. comfort vs. eco-pro). That sounds about right based on a drive I did yesterday. I took another scenic drive up into my local mountains, driving up in Sport mode and returning back down in e-Drive. The distance was about 25 miles each way, so the average electrical energy consumption on the way down was very low since it was mostly downhill. I plugged it in when I got home and found the estimated e-range this morning was all the way up to 44 miles (71 km). Doing my normal drive today, which was mostly 70+ mph freeway driving in comfort mode with A/C, I only achieved 28 miles actual e-range. Still not bad, considering the pre-LCI cars were typically in the high teens, but obviously not as high as yesterday's highly efficient driving might suggest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:17 AM   #3
zorgzx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

The last 20 miles or 30 km sound about right, thats the same my F10 does. However theres a recalculation in there somewhere that is triggered I think. If you change your pattern wildly.
Recently I was driving home and tried to make a Ferry crossing. As this was in derestricted germany it was ofcourse done useing Sport and lots of boost .
Upon nearing the ferry crossing (motorway ends the last 15km is on normal road) I was running badly out of fuel (curse that tiny tank). So I activated eco-pro and cruised doing no overtakes and kept speed very low. the distance to target was 59 km and the total range (10% battery or so) was 45 km. After perhaps 7-8km of this calm driving the distance to target was 51 and the range 52. Upon reaching the target I still had total range of 20Km.
Appreciate 0