Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

View Poll Results: Is the BMW i8 a Supercar ?
Yes 28 35.44%
No 31 39.24%
Yes, a baby supercar 20 25.32%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

12-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #45
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
...Gtr performance is amazing but the inside is absolute junk...
Here we go bashing cars again...

I'ld very much like to have a GTR if I had a big enough garage. Its a pretty amazing car!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #46
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post

I'ld very much like to have a GTR if I had a big enough garage. Its a pretty amazing car!
well it is a pretty low rent interior, but then it is japanese.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #47
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:

Bashing??The first half of the sentence said the performance is amazing! And for full context I have been the GM of a Nissan Dealership for 13 years so I know everything about that car. If you compare the GTR interior to basically any high end car over a 100k it will come up dead last. No suede roof, no leather dash, no alcantara anywhere, electronics out of the same parts bin of the rest of the line up. Though the gtr can equal a tts in most performance categories there is a reason the Porsche is 100k more, Nissan put all there dollars into the hardware of the car, so the gtr has the ability to punch above its weight, but again on the interior nothing special at all. IF I wanted the fastest car for sure it would be a modded gtr. If a well informed opinion is bashing then i don't know what to tell you.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #48
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Bashing??The first half of the sentence said the performance is amazing! And for full context I have been the GM of a Nissan Dealership for 13 years so I know everything about that car. If you compare the GTR interior to basically any high end car over a 100k it will come up dead last. No suede roof, no leather dash, no alcantara anywhere, electronics out of the same parts bin of the rest of the line up. Though the gtr can equal a tts in most performance categories there is a reason the Porsche is 100k more, Nissan put all there dollars into the hardware of the car, so the gtr has the ability to punch above its weight, but again on the interior nothing special at all. IF I wanted the fastest car for sure it would be a modded gtr. If a well informed opinion is bashing then i don't know what to tell you.
Calling something "absolute junk" is NOT really accurate, don't you think?

If "junk" isn't "trash" then I don't know what is...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #49
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

It's a supercar in my mind in idea and execution.

It's essentially trying to be a 'green' supercar and succeeds but with compromises.

It performs nearly as well as an F40 and while a corvette GS or M2 does this as well the car is still rarish, sourced from F1 technology, and looks the role.

The other problem is the other modern supercars like the ZR1 and up will utterly outperform it.

Still, it goes really fast and gets 100mpg or w.e.

Weird, slowest supercar yes, but it's still there.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #50
orion1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 i8 & '14 328i

These reviewers asked the same question

Appreciate 3
      03-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #51
FullThrottle
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe, F10 M5

Supercar to me has 1 main points
High Performance

Secondary points:
High Price
Exclusive
RETAINS VALUE!!!!
Has it's time (ie super cars of the past aren't really "supercars" now they are respected for their previous merits)

I8 is sports car performance, higher end pricing and that's about it. It is a sports car just like a gtr or corvette who may have performance but not the value of a super car.

Lamborghinis, Ferraris, McLaren's are supercars. Ford GT, Porsche GT3 RS as well have a combination of price performance and exclusivity.

And to be frank most supercars don't need an argument, nobody is going to say Huracan isn't a supercar

Times have changed and performance has improved a lot but relatively the i8 aint nothing special
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #52
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post
Supercar to me has 1 main points
High Performance

Secondary points:
High Price
Exclusive
RETAINS VALUE!!!!
Has it's time (ie super cars of the past aren't really "supercars" now they are respected for their previous merits)

I8 is sports car performance, higher end pricing and that's about it. It is a sports car just like a gtr or corvette who may have performance but not the value of a super car.

Lamborghinis, Ferraris, McLaren's are supercars. Ford GT, Porsche GT3 RS as well have a combination of price performance and exclusivity.

And to be frank most supercars don't need an argument, nobody is going to say Huracan isn't a supercar

Times have changed and performance has improved a lot but relatively the i8 aint nothing special
Still gets more attention than a huracán, f California or most Porsches though : at least out here in SoCal where "supercars" are a dime a dozen
      03-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #53
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

Retains value? I would wholeheartedly disagree. You can buy a $250k gallardo for about 75k now. Other examples are abundant.
      03-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #54
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Funny question I can only answer from my personal point of view with a clear Yes.
Of course I understand it's not for others who rate "Super" by conventional parameters like HP, 0-60, track times and all this known stuff.
In this regard the i8 can be called an assertive and snappy GT but not a Supercar.

But if I rate "Super" by smart parameters it outperforms nearly every Supercar even the new NSX whose approx. CO2 emissions are ridiculously higher (6-7 times) in comparison to the i8. I just had to laugh when I read it.

But "smart" means much more. I drive the i8 mainly on our lovely country roads that are often interrupted by peaceful, quiet little villages and hamlets with kids and animals playing next to the streets. To be able to quick switch from red hot loud Sport Mode to absolutely quiet e-Drive and then to spur the horse again is just pure fun and what makes me feel to sit in a super car.

Yeah I know, faster, faster, faster...
Appreciate 2
fbuzila365.50
Nachbar8023.00
      03-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #55
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Still gets more attention than a huracán, f California or most Porsches though : at least out here in SoCal where "supercars" are a dime a dozen
Here in Zurich (Switzerland) supercars are also inflationary and regulary hold their fart-orgies along the sightseeing boulevards on weekends to gain attention. Even mature people. And more and more people are not only uninterested, they are pretty tired of this emission-rich nonsense. I never used the i8 for the city and never will. The city supercar is ultimately the i3. "Super" can also be a very practical parameter
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #56
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Quote:
Here in Zurich (Switzerland) supercars are also inflationary and regulary hold their fart-orgies along the sightseeing boulevards on weekends to gain attention. Even mature people. And more and more people are not only uninterested, they are pretty tired of this emission-rich nonsense. I never used the i8 for the city and never will. The city supercar is ultimately the i3. "Super" can also be a very practical parameter
Exactly/ I don't part take in gatherings either. I feel like it's really just a dick measuring contest for a lot of insecure folks who feel the need to "look at me" when as you said- only little kids are actually impressed (and unless you're Michael Jackson or RKelly- not exactly my type of attention I want)
      03-05-2019, 11:29 PM   #57
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Quote:
I'm driving my i8 every working day during wintertime at Zurich City. On sunny days I prefer my 1991 E30 325i Convertible. Both cars get MUCH attraction. I never ever met one person bashing about one of them.
The i8 is loved by Sportcar lovers, design freaks, ecological people, girls and boys.
The E30 puts a Smile in almost every over 40 „Mom and Dad" face.
I'm kinda shy guy and not used to stand out tbh. But I actually like the friendly conversations on supermarket parkinglots, gas stations and so on. It's amazing, how thankfully all of them are, when I answer their questions. Let them sit inside, taking pictures and so on.

Last week a funny asia women walked over and told me, her husband drives a Merc GTS. She likes the design of it, but it's horrible loud and not drivable in snow. She nearly couldn't belive the i8 is so quiet and drives great in the snow. So I let her drive around a bit. She was blown away. Took lots of pics. I wounder what she told her husband afterwards.
Appreciate 1
jcpca356164.00
      03-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #58
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The GTR feels and drives like a Supercar and I love it—it is amazing. The i8 gets the attention and is a smooth, serene, quiet ride. Now have the new M5C which , though more powerful than either, feels like a big, pleasant sedan most of the time. I always look forward to returning to the GTR ( have to fight the wife for turns taking it....). It's definitely the family favorite— the super car question comes up on the GTR forums with same responses as here— some boxes are checked off but not all....but everyone loves their GTR
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 04:47 AM   #59
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

I think the I8 is a supercar.
The definition of a supercar for me is something special - something that turns heads on a street and people point at. An I8 does that probably more than just about anything else out there.

Performance? Well, for accessible performance on road the electric motor giving you 100% torque all the time makes it properly quick in practical on road scenarios. Supercars are not racing cars. So the fact it's not that quick on the track is not concerning.

Also - would you say that a Ferrari 308 was a supercar? Even a fairly modest BMW 335d would leave it for dead now...so is it no longer a super car?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #60
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Most i8 owners probably don't care, most are probably on the nerdy side and appreciate the achievements of the car that are beyond the normal definition of a "supercar".

-Is it fast enough? If you don't think so, buy something faster.
-Does it handle? If you don't think so, buy something else.
-Does it make enough noise? If you think not then buy something else.
-Is it too expensive? If you think so, buy a Nissan.
-Do you get plenty of attention? Yes. If you don't want this then buy a Porsche or an Audi R8.
-Is it good on a track? No. If you want to track then get a Lotus or a track car that will break your spine.
-Do most people know what it is/have owned one/driven one? No.
-Do I care if anyone thinks it's a supercar? No
-Is it cool and great to own? I think so.
      04-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #61
jojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 1989 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Most i8 owners probably don't care, most are probably on the nerdy side and appreciate the achievements of the car that are beyond the normal definition of a "supercar".

-Do you get plenty of attention? Yes. If you don't want this then buy a Porsche or an Audi R8.
-Is it good on a track? No. If you want to track then get a Lotus or a track car that will break your spine.
👍👍👍
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #62
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
I personally like the part about “do I care if anyone thinks it’s a supercar?”
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #63
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep

-is it reliable? why yes, nothing broke in the last 4.5 years i owned it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post

04-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #64
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356 View Post
-is it reliable? why yes, nothing broke in the last 4.5 years i owned it
Not even the fuel pressure sensor? I'm impressed.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #65
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep

Wait, that happened to me yes. I'm forgetting in my old age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Not even the fuel pressure sensor? I'm impressed.
      04-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #66
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Yes, seems to happen to every single i8...eventually

Bit of a design flaw/weak point.
Appreciate 0