BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #155
tcphoto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1034
Rep
1,608
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MT Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

I’ve always felt my body does best with about an 18 hour fast, I simply don’t run well if I have much in my stomach. My problem has always been keeping on weight so I try to balance eating well and running. I know at 57, I have to be careful of not overdoing it as far as mileage goes.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #156
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1979
Rep
4,916
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Iíve always felt my body does best with about an 18 hour fast, I simply donít run well if I have much in my stomach. My problem has always been keeping on weight so I try to balance eating well and running. I know at 57, I have to be careful of not overdoing it as far as mileage goes.
What kind of mileage are u doing on your runs ?
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #157
Jordan's World
Private
Jordan's World's Avatar
United_States
423
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Any HOKA ONE ONE wearers on here?

I was in the market for a new pair of road shoes, and saw they had the Clifton 6 on markdown, so decided to splurge and order a pair in LUNAR ROCK / NIMBUS CLOUD.

Have heard good things about them for flat footers and supination, so decided to give them a shot.

Current daily shoe is a Brooks ghost 12. Have had them for about a year now and love them!

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 9.32.05 PM.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  188.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #158
dc503
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Any HOKA ONE ONE wearers on here?

I was in the market for a new pair of road shoes, and saw they had the Clifton 6 on markdown, so decided to splurge and order a pair in LUNAR ROCK / NIMBUS CLOUD.

Have heard good things about them for flat footers and supination, so decided to give them a shot.

Current daily shoe is a Brooks ghost 12. Have had them for about a year now and love them!

Attachment 2353958
I'm a shoe nerd but I've never tried these, but I do know people that recently switched to them from other shoes and do like them. I'm a little nervous of the high stack height, but the forefoot to heel drop is kind of in my wheelhouse of what I like personally.
__________________
2016 340i
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #159
Jordan's World
Private
Jordan's World's Avatar
United_States
423
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Any HOKA ONE ONE wearers on here?

I was in the market for a new pair of road shoes, and saw they had the Clifton 6 on markdown, so decided to splurge and order a pair in LUNAR ROCK / NIMBUS CLOUD.

Have heard good things about them for flat footers and supination, so decided to give them a shot.

Current daily shoe is a Brooks ghost 12. Have had them for about a year now and love them!

Attachment 2353958
I'm a shoe nerd but I've never tried these, but I do know people that recently switched to them from other shoes and do like them. I'm a little nervous of the high stack height, but the forefoot to heel drop is kind of in my wheelhouse of what I like personally.
Stack height worried me as well. The cushion is actually really nice. Put about 9 miles on them this morning and they feel great!

Going to give them a few weeks to break in, but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #160
dc503
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Stack height worried me as well. The cushion is actually really nice. Put about 9 miles on them this morning and they feel great!

Going to give them a few weeks to break in, but so far so good.
Good news! Yeah, most of my running is trail now days so the stack height makes me irrationally fearful of ankle rolling on rocky surfaces. I [socially distanced] trail ran with a buddy of my yesterday on a pretty rooted and rocky trail yesterday, he just added Hoka Trail Goats to his rotation and loves them.
__________________
2016 340i
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2020, 12:10 AM   #161
Jordan's World
Private
Jordan's World's Avatar
United_States
423
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Good news! Yeah, most of my running is trail now days so the stack height makes me irrationally fearful of ankle rolling on rocky surfaces. I [socially distanced] trail ran with a buddy of my yesterday on a pretty rooted and rocky trail yesterday, he just added Hoka Trail Goats to his rotation and loves them.
I really should get into trail running, easier on the joints.

Not to sound like a bitch, but I hate snakes and other critters. And Living in central Florida they are EVERYWHERE, so I have avoided it. There are a few nice trails around here though, but I've only biked them.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #162
dc503
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
I really should get into trail running, easier on the joints.

Not to sound like a bitch, but I hate snakes and other critters. And Living in central Florida they are EVERYWHERE, so I have avoided it. There are a few nice trails around here though, but I've only biked them.
Give it a shot!

I like the variability of it so there is a lot of different muscle engagement you don't get with road running too, plus as you mentioned it does seem to treat my body better. I find there's a nice sense of nature and isolation on a nice secluded trail, but at the same time there is some mental engagement that comes from planning lines, terrain obstacles, foot placement, etc. that I take enjoyment in.

Trust me, often times I'm a nervous thinking about snakes so I understand. I'm in the DC area and the venomous snake list is probably way down compared to Florida. Luckily, I haven't had any encounters with timber rattlers or copperheads here, but I've been told by a herpetologist friend that they've likely been all around me haha...super re-assuring.
__________________
2016 340i
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #163
tcphoto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1034
Rep
1,608
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MT Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What kind of mileage are u doing on your runs ?
Sorry for the late response, I usually run 12-15 miles a week and do intervals. I find that running 6-8 minutes and walking 1 works well for me.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #164
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
984
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Jordan's World what is the update on those kicks bruh? One of these days I'll actually get a decent pair of running shoes. Right now I just rock the nike pegasus 35s, they're solid, but as we all know Nike is not known for their running shoes.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #165
dc503
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Jordan's World Right now I just rock the nike pegasus 35s, they're solid, but as we all know Nike is not known for their running shoes.
Nike has had quite a turn around in the last 2-3 years.
__________________
2016 340i
Appreciate 1
JP10983.50

      08-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #166
tcphoto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1034
Rep
1,608
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MT Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

I prefer a light shoe to run in, probably because of my Track and Field days. I have a neutral stride and like the Nike and Adidas offerings but would like to hear others opinions.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #167
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1979
Rep
4,916
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I prefer a light shoe to run in, probably because of my Track and Field days. I have a neutral stride and like the Nike and Adidas offerings but would like to hear others opinions.
ON Running Cloudflow very good shoe and favorite running shoe presently.
Like to alternate shoes on run days my other being New Balance Beacon which came with the worst insert.

ON Cloudflow no hotspots very comfortable on 10+ mile runs.
I'm Neutral my On's are normal width and feel perfect.

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/pro...ens/sea-petrol.

My last Adidas was an early Adizero years ago. ON is just another different level.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #168
dc503
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I prefer a light shoe to run in, probably because of my Track and Field days. I have a neutral stride and like the Nike and Adidas offerings but would like to hear others opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
ON Running Cloudflow very good shoe and favorite running shoe presently.
Like to alternate shoes on run days my other being New Balance Beacon which came with the worst insert.

ON Cloudflow no hotspots very comfortable on 10+ mile runs.
I'm Neutral my On's are normal width and feel perfect.

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/pro...ens/sea-petrol.

My last Adidas was an early Adizero years ago. ON is just another different level.
I'm loving the latest Altra Escalante Racer, super comfortable upper and light. I have a pretty big rotation of shoes going right now and they've become my favorite normal day shoe. They are zero drop though, if that's an issue.

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/me...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I typically rotate between those, Nike Zoomfly's, and Nike Vaporfly (4% and NEXT%) for fast ego days, but I like the Altras for a more normal low stack height shoe. I wouldn't mind giving On's more time, I've briefly used Cloudflows on demo runs.
__________________
2016 340i
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #169
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
10499
Rep
8,649
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

cotmfk or anyone else who uses RunKeeper:

I just don't understand my updates.

Time, 6:02 Distance 1 km. Average pace 6:02. Current split pace: 5:20.
Time: 12:10, Distance 2 km. Average pace 6:05. Current split pace: 6:50
Time: 18:18, Distance 3 km. Average pace 6:06. Current split pace: 7:02.

WTF is happening with split pace calculations????? I'm pretty much picking them up and putting them down the same as before.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk842.00

      08-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #170
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
842
Rep
5,208
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
cotmfk or anyone else who uses RunKeeper:

I just don't understand my updates.

Time, 6:02 Distance 1 km. Average pace 6:02. Current split pace: 5:20.
Time: 12:10, Distance 2 km. Average pace 6:05. Current split pace: 6:50
Time: 18:18, Distance 3 km. Average pace 6:06. Current split pace: 7:02.

WTF is happening with split pace calculations????? I'm pretty much picking them up and putting them down the same as before.
You're not wrong. Something is wrong with their calculations for sure. I've used a stop watch (old school handheld) when trying to actually calculate split times instead of relying on the app.

Edit: Just thinking about this now - maybe there is a way to edit what they define as a "split." Maybe you can say for it to calculate 100m, 1k, etc. as the distance used for the split. I'll have to look into this... (currently not running -injury since late July).
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #171
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
10499
Rep
8,649
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

I'm running on the dirt side of bike lane, facing traffic. See ahead a sprint van covering 1/2 bike lane, speed limit is 55. He makes a few weaves but gets back in his lane. I have both arms out as he passes

About a minute later I hear a voice. Person on the other side of street. He turned around to apologize. I told him he was better than most for doing that

In my O2-deprived mind I laughed out loud a bit later with the image of myself moving closer to him to hear, and a semi on my side of the road wiping me off the pavement
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #172
Mingwan
Major
1534
Rep
1,217
Posts

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Had to lay off the running lately due to IT band irritation and tension. Lamme
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #173
cotmfk
Major General
cotmfk's Avatar
842
Rep
5,208
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA

iTrader: (11)

Got a generic massage gun off of Amazon (similar to Hypervolt). Wife loves it... uses it every day almost. I've used it a few times... doesn't seem to do anything for me. What do others think? Is this a placebo or the real deal?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #174
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1979
Rep
4,916
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Got a generic massage gun off of Amazon (similar to Hypervolt). Wife loves it... uses it every day almost. I've used it a few times... doesn't seem to do anything for me. What do others think? Is this a placebo or the real deal?
I think it's real.

Massage is big with pro athletes. I imagine a lot of their therapist bring along the hyervolt.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #175
dc503
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ashburn, VA

iTrader: (3)

Massage is real tool, however you can get it. I like these devices for the fact it's low effort on my end, I just turn it on haha. That said, I also don't own one, I just use a Hyperice at my PT's office when I can! Is it worth it to own one? Maybe, but the benefits are real in my opinion, it's just a pretty expensive solution still.
__________________
2016 340i
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #176
Em2
Private
66
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Jordan's World what is the update on those kicks bruh? One of these days I'll actually get a decent pair of running shoes. Right now I just rock the nike pegasus 35s, they're solid, but as we all know Nike is not known for their running shoes.
Whaaaat?

Since about 2016/7 Nike has been at the pinnacle of running shoes. Other brands have started to catch up again but this comment doesn't make much sense.

Check out the next%... instant prs.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST