BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
      09-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #2
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Awesome tech.

But no one in their right mind would put a new car, or one this expensive, through an automatic car wash
Appreciate 9
DG-X5166.50
jrc42516.50
Roch M4424.00
MATR43.50
BM-B581.00
Beefcake188.00
thereef5101163.00
      09-15-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Awesome tech.

But no one in their right mind would put a new car, or one this expensive, through an automatic car wash
Actually, for most people these days, a car is just a transportation appliance and the only deterent to keeping a car scratch-free is that big scary end-of-lease-return checkover.
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3539.50
      09-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Heavy reliance on sensors and technology is a bad idea. Maybe it's a bias because of where I live but these things tend to fail over time. Now you're left without the skills you need. That--and driving shouldn't be easier. It should get harder. There should be fewer opportunities for distraction. Further removal of the driver from the task can't lead anywhere good. Take for example the I Am Roadsmart where use of Carplay had a similar level of impairment to drunk driving. https://www.iamroadsmart.com/campaig...s/infotainment
      09-15-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
Awesome tech.

I've seen way more often destructive handwash than most modern automatic carwash...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #6
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Sounds great, doesen't work
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
      09-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Jesus Christ, why would anyone do this? Just park the damn car. All of these real life variables in parking garages (kids slipping away from parents, strollers, shopping carts, mindless texting teens) and you do this? How irresponsible. What happens when the car gets into an accident and you're shopping at Nordstrom? BMW needs to stop the BS and focus on making these cars drive like BMWs should.
Roch M4424.00
stein_325i25051.00
      09-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
nafelabdal
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Quote:
Awesome tech.

This is NOT "Awesome Technology", and far from it. This is a marketing commercial for self parking tech that barley works in real life and it would take many minutes to park the car and even more so if there are any people or obstacles in the way. Same goes for the auto wash portion of the video.

It take only few seconds to park the car yourself, even if you are a bad driver. And if you can't park after a minute then you should not be driving an automobile.

At current state, this is a useless tech to 99.9% of the population and just another option you tick and lose money on for no reason.

The future of transportation is Autonomous Driving, Electric, and Artificial Intelligence. At this time, all of the above technologies are at their INFANCY.

2030 is a reasonable time line for these tech fields to mature to a point where they are actually PRACTICLE for every day use.

Otherwise, this is just a gimmick at this time, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #9
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Quote:
Awesome tech.

How else big factories and dealerships should wash their cars then?

Personally I trust a well run automatic carwash in Germany more than some random bob knob's hand carwash
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Actually, for most people these days, a car is just a transportation appliance and the only deterent to keeping a car scratch-free is that big scary end-of-lease-return checkover.
LOL... I have no problem using a car wash... and no issues with lease return
JustChris17426.00
      09-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
LOL... I have no problem using a car wash... and no issues with lease return
And then they complain about the Model S steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #12
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Jesus Christ, why would anyone do this? Just park the damn car. All of these real life variables in parking garages (kids slipping away from parents, strollers, shopping carts, mindless texting teens) and you do this? How irresponsible. What happens when the car gets into an accident and you're shopping at Nordstrom? BMW needs to stop the BS and focus on making these cars drive like BMWs should.
Yes, while most people will just park the car, it is good that they're at least working on the autonomous problem...which is very hard... just look at Tesla. They've been working on it for years, leveraging their entire global fleet for training data and it still doesn't work.

There isn't any reason BMW or any other OEM shouldn't work on this. Further, I would hazard a guess that these auto-park areas are heavily controlled, to ensure some random customer/kid isn't in an area where something could happen. Even so, it would be great if the car could sense pedestrians and handle accordingly.... easier to do at slow speed and in a controlled environment than in some public car park.

My $0.02

Cheers!
Bumpinjeep5363.50
PABrian149.50
      09-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #13
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Yes, while most people will just park the car, it is good that they're at least working on the autonomous problem...which is very hard... just look at Tesla. They've been working on it for years, leveraging their entire global fleet for training data and it still doesn't work.

There isn't any reason BMW or any other OEM shouldn't work on this. Further, I would hazard a guess that these auto-park areas are heavily controlled, to ensure some random customer/kid isn't in an area where something could happen. Even so, it would be great if the car could sense pedestrians and handle accordingly.... easier to do at slow speed and in a controlled environment than in some public car park.

My $0.02

Cheers!
I get your point, but at what cost and who is footing the bill?
What I mean is, these heavily controlled parking lots will cost a great deal of money, who is paying for it, hopefully not the general public through taxes. Also, let's say a private entity pays for these areas, where will they be? Does that mean that a floor in a public garage has to be converted for autonomous use only? Where a fraction of the cars on the road can take advantage of it? It just doesn't make any sense, this whole thing is solving a problem that simply doesn't exist.
It take literally seconds to park a car. If you can't do it properly, learn.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I just don't see the point in investing into unnecessary technologies when the money can be spent on making a vehicle's dynamics better, you know, like, the Ultimate Driving Machine?
      09-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #14
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I get your point, but at what cost and who is footing the bill?
What I mean is, these heavily controlled parking lots will cost a great deal of money, who is paying for it, hopefully not the general public through taxes. Also, let's say a private entity pays for these areas, where will they be? Does that mean that a floor in a public garage has to be converted for autonomous use only? Where a fraction of the cars on the road can take advantage of it? It just doesn't make any sense, this whole thing is solving a problem that simply doesn't exist.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I just don't see the point in investing into unnecessary technologies when the money can be spent on making a vehicle's dynamics better, you know, like, the Ultimate Driving Machine?
I hear ya.... I consider it the same as a valet-only area. The same argument could be made about full autonomous driving... lots of R&D going into the domain in general, not just auto-parking. Being able to call your call to pick you up (i.e. Tesla Summon) would be fantastic.... just think you're coming out of a store and the weather is crap or whatever..maybe you're old or have a handicap... you can have your car come to you. Lots of use cases or areas where that feature is useful.
PABrian149.50
      09-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #15
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:

My $0.02

Cheers!
"it is good that they're at least working on the autonomous problem.."

The reality is autonomous driving is a solution to something which isn't a problem.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #16
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks to Tesla for driving all this autonomous craze. The ultimate driving machine will become the ultimate "self-driving" machine eventually. 😂
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #17
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
You seem to be forgetting how accurate parking sensors and the systems that control them are these days.

Back when the G12 7 Series first launched with Remote Control Parking on the Display Key, I was working at a BMW dealer. I demonstrated that feature countless times over several years, and almost every single one of those clients asked what happens when someone or a dog or whatever walks behind or in front of the car while you're remote controlling it into/out of the parking space.

So what did I do? I'd literally walk right behind or in front of the moving car at the last moment, and it would stop short of hitting me every single time. Without fail.

In that case, the car moves at a slow walking pace, and from this video it looks like the car is moving at maybe a fast walking pace. I'd venture to guess that in 5+ years and two generations of car tech later, it won't have any issues stopping in time for sudden appearances of people going where they shouldn't be.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 06:49 PM   #18
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

2 years ago I've got an X2 loaner when my M4 was in for an oil service. I tested the automatic parking feature...the car was going to fast when parking that it hit the sidewalk, scratched the wheel and damaged a little the tire...these feature only works on optimal conditions...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #19
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
I get your point, but at what cost and who is footing the bill? ....

Maybe you are the minority in thinking that this is "unnecessary technology"?
I guarantee you that this would be a big hit with the consumers if it becomes a reality.
Appreciate 2
PABrian149.50
xmanpro2957.50
      09-15-2021, 10:13 PM   #20
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
The reality is autonomous driving is a solution to something which isn't a problem.
Not a problem - but a feature for many people that you don't know what you are missing until you try it.
Just like traffic jam assist - I love it; and it is taste of what's more to come.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:09 PM   #21
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

This winds me up for 3 reasons - ok rant coming up!

Car wash, why why why? This will not be kind to the paint but unlike us here , most people don't care and clean cars in the same manner that they clean the kitchen

Gimmicky technology
Sure it's clever no denying but it is not required
If you cannot park a car your self you should not have a driving license

Steering wheel.
Why oh why is this not round?
Why do we not learn from previous mistakes?
Reference the Austin allegro. (Google that if you are not from the U.K.) which had a squarish steering wheel, never a success
How do you feed this wheel through your hands as you steer?
The person who signed that off need their head examined and should be fired. What an earth were they thinking??
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:08 AM   #22
bonsai
OG 3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3/2018 F82 M4 Compet

Thanks for sharing OP

Looks like this is a tech stunt. It's hard to pull off with a full sensor suite on the vehicle. Looks like BMW is using tons of beacons and/or cameras to do this demo.

Maybe one day it'll be practical to use. Cough Tesla Summon, cough. We'd first need standardized V2V, better maps, cheaper LIDAR (which is pretty much here), probably reorganized parking lots, the list goes on.

2030 at best. (Don't forget how many analysts (lol) out there were claiming full L3 autonomous drive by 2025...)
Appreciate 0