11-20-2021, 11:26 PM   #67
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis
Honestly I wouldn't worry about iDrive8 too much. Once you get used to it you may end up liking it more than 7 anyway. As long as the stuff I need to commonly do while driving is easy and not too distracting, I'm ok with it.

Yeah I too have the heated and cooled cupholders, they can be ok on a really long trip but most of the time, on a short drive they don't really do much. I'll add their omission to the list of cons, along with the light elements in the panoramic roof that I thought of as well. As for dual pane glass, I think they have insulated the iX very well from all the videos I have watched so far. They could have also added dual pane glass on top of it, maybe that would have made it even quieter. It is odd that they didn't include it or offer it as an option. I know that when I ordered my X5, even though it was offered as a low cost option in the US and likely elsewhere, it was not possible to order it on a Canadian car. I complained through my dealer to BMW Canada but their response to him was that it didn't make a big enough difference in sound levels so they opted to not have it available. I didn't care enough to push hard for it.
I actually use the heater and cooled cup holders everyday on my commute every day almost. Regardless of whether some of these options are legit or not I like having them. That's what makes the difference between a loaded luxury suv and a Camry. Everytime a new bmw comes out I'm excited to see what new options and features they've come up with. This time around I was praying there wouldn't be more cuts like what's been going on with the X5 model years. I think in ordinary times the iX would have been available or loaded with a lot more new stuff but because of the shortages they allocated all the chips to have to make this an attractive new product over their existing products. The more I think about it, the less attractive this product it is.. there isn't anything new in here that my 40i doesn't have. And I'd have to live without a motorized split tailgate while I absolutely love.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2431.50
      11-21-2021, 01:36 AM   #68
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
The more I think about it, the less attractive this product it is.. there isn't anything new in here that my 40i doesn't have. And I'd have to live without a motorized split tailgate while I absolutely love.
To each their own.
For me, the whole point of getting iX is for EV; and not for having extra gadgets over the X5.

Having said that, iX has integral active steering, switchable glass sunroof, camera cleaning front and rear with retractable nozzles, heating elements in grille to prevent snow/ice blocking sensors and ultrawide band digital key that the 40i doesn't have.

And from the reviews, noise and refinement seems to be a significant step up from the X5.

Last edited by nosnoop; 11-21-2021 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      11-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #69
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Cons:
cannot open sunroof
This is one aspect I wish automakers would stop forcing on their EV's. I love to open the roof on any occasion in any of my cars. Every single EV I've seen seems to have a stupid pano roof which won't open, without a proper sunshade. I get that it affects range, but most people are driving their EV's on small daily commutes in which it wouldn't have too much of an effect. I test drove an EQS this week and of all the things that stood out to me, one was something as simple as a regular pano roof that actually tilts and slides open, it should at least be an option in my opinion.
thereef5101164.00
      11-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #70
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:
Cons:
cannot open sunroof
This is one aspect I wish automakers would stop forcing on their EV's. I love to open the roof on any occasion in any of my cars. Every single EV I've seen seems to have a stupid pano roof which won't open, without a proper sunshade. I get that it affects range, but most people are driving their EV's on small daily commutes in which it wouldn't have too much of an effect. I test drove an EQS this week and of all the things that stood out to me, one was something as simple as a regular pano roof that actually tilts and slides open, it should at least be an option in my opinion.
This.

If I choose to leave my sunroof open, I accept it it has an effect on range and even if closed, the shut lines will have an even more negligible effect.

Give people a choice.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101164.00
ggalanis2431.50
      11-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #71
slampert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX50

[QUOTE=ggalanis;28275455]
maybe the B&W audio system is better in the iX than the B&W in the X5

To my ear, there is no ambiguity about this. I had the B&W in my 2020 X5. I demo'd the B&W in the iX with my own (USB) source material and there was no comparison. The iX setup was completely different and an order of magnitude more immersive.

It must be experienced first hand (or ear) !
Appreciate 2
thereef5101164.00
ggalanis2431.50
      11-21-2021, 05:10 PM   #72
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

[QUOTE=slampert;28277906]
Quote:
maybe the B&W audio system is better in the iX than the B&W in the X5

To my ear, there is no ambiguity about this. I had the B&W in my 2020 X5. I demo'd the B&W in the iX with my own (USB) source material and there was no comparison. The iX setup was completely different and an order of magnitude more immersive.

Good to hear. This may be what gets me over the edge to get it
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:33 PM   #73
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
The more I think about it, the less attractive this product it is.. there isn't anything new in here that my 40i doesn't have. And I'd have to live without a motorized split tailgate while I absolutely love.
Yup, if the gadgets are what you want and would miss some of the ones the iX doesn't have, you will not enjoy the iX as much as keeping your X5, unless the electric drivetrain and other things make up for it.
I like the split tailgate more than i thought I would. Maybe in a couple of years they might add some of those or other new stuff in to make it worth it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
yup, agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
This.

If I choose to leave my sunroof open, I accept it it has an effect on range and even if closed, the shut lines will have an even more negligible effect.

Give people a choice.
yup, agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slampert View Post

I wanted to plug in my USB stick from the X5 and blast it at the dealership to compare but my wife was not having it. Which is why I said maybe in my post. I think it was for the best since the car was stuck in some sort of weird mode and we could not roll windows up or down and the driver side window was all the way down.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:03 AM   #74
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Thanks for sharing real world reviews.

BMW really should have been way more open with color palette on this car. Where is that beautiful champagne - copper they launched it with? What about some silvers? What about an option to paint the grille in body color to blend it in? I know they do this copper accent but it rarely works on a 911 GT3 RS, why they think it works on SUV is beyond me. More colors, more interior options. Anything to make this car as appealing as possible versus ICE.

The trunk small is a real shame and shows BMW has very poor packaging still when it comes to making EVs.

No door handles is just bad design and person in charge of ergonomics should be sent to study again before being allowed to design. Or better yet, hire a guy from Audi.

Volume button or door opening - I noticed same things when I drove a Taycan for the first time. Like Im picking someone up and they want to get in... how to open door? These cars without physical buttons are dumb while trying to looks smart. I wish someone with common sense stepped in and stopps these tech people from running wild.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #75
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
No door handles is just bad design and person in charge of ergonomics should be sent to study again before being allowed to design.
What's wrong with iX's door opening button?
I think it's pretty intuitive. Just like trunk opening buttons which have been in previous BMWs for years. I never have to teach anyone how to open the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 11:23 PM   #76
Kennethjk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

Personally I don’t want a sunroof. Have had them for over 30 years and if I’ve opened them twice it’s a lot.

It should be an option if you want one and yes if you get it, it should open.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #77
Evrim
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive 50

Quote:

No door handles is just bad design and person in charge of ergonomics should be sent to study again before being allowed to design. Or better yet, hire a guy from Audi.

Volume button or door opening - I noticed same things when I drove a Taycan for the first time. Like Im picking someone up and they want to get in... how to open door? These cars without physical buttons are dumb while trying to looks smart. I wish someone with common sense stepped in and stopps these tech people from running wild.
To be honest, I found this comment a bit interesting, with all my respect.

Innovative stuff and new designs are in all parts of our life, not only in cars.

Owe can say a start stop button is also weird compared to turning the key to start the car but world of cars are evolving in a way of new technologies.

Personally I found the door bottons inside-outside very nice and cool. Maybe in 5 years we will see something new and completely different. This is the reality.

If the designers are not going to design new and innovative stuff, then why we need designers?

In this way of thinking, we should stick with Nokia phones, instead of new smartphones.
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2292.50
      11-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #78
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethjk View Post
Personally I don’t want a sunroof. Have had them for over 30 years and if I’ve opened them twice it’s a lot.

It should be an option if you want one and yes if you get it, it should open.
I’ve also had panorama roofs, which open, in my recent cars. But I did not order one this time to my iX40 as in Sweden at least it cost around SEK 37k (EUR 3700, USD 4100) extra for the iX40 and I did not really see the value in having a such roof that did not open. I’ve opened my recent panorama roofs on daily basis during the summer months.
So I went with the Oyster interior with a light headliner which should give a nice light interior. I’ve had black interiors (seats & headliner) in my recent cars so that is going to be a big change as well. Will be interesting to see how I looks like when I get mine delivered in 3-4 weeks’ time (hopefully).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:31 AM   #79
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrim View Post
To be honest, I found this comment a bit interesting, with all my respect.

Innovative stuff and new designs are in all parts of our life, not only in cars.

Owe can say a start stop button is also weird compared to turning the key to start the car but world of cars are evolving in a way of new technologies.

Personally I found the door bottons inside-outside very nice and cool. Maybe in 5 years we will see something new and completely different. This is the reality.

If the designers are not going to design new and innovative stuff, then why we need designers?

In this way of thinking, we should stick with Nokia phones, instead of new smartphones.
I agree that innovation and design are part of life, I also dont think Nokia phones are way to go.

But you just disagreed with my point on buttons (which to me is valid) and made me against innovation and human progress which is false. This is not constructive way to discuss anything and very primitive way to argue.

When car flips over, or gets attacked on street, or falls into water, that button pushing will be the end of a poor chap trying to get out. Not all solutions are good when done just for the sake of innovation, thats all, with respect.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #80
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

Quote:
When car flips over, or gets attacked on street, or falls into water, that button pushing will be the end of a poor chap trying to get out. Not all solutions are good when done just for the sake of innovation, thats all, with respect.
Not to dip too deeply into the minutiae of a pretty good wider discussion, but BMW may have thought of that with the iX as the doors do have a manual release handle as well as the button. It is just hidden in the door pocket, to look invisible
Appreciate 4
volodp196.50
Tallest1301.00
LittleJoe1064.00
jmack1231300.50
      11-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #81
Evrim
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive 50

Quote:
I agree that innovation and design are part of life, I also dont think Nokia phones are way to go.

But you just disagreed with my point on buttons (which to me is valid) and made me against innovation and human progress which is false. This is not constructive way to discuss anything and very primitive way to argue.

If my words were understood like that, then my apologies It was never my intention. Additionally, suggestion to send the designer study again is also a bit harsh, isn’t it?

New technology and innovation comes with its own issues. But change is unavoidable.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:17 AM   #82
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward View Post
When we returned and parked the car, we faced the next problem. How to open the doors from the inside. There is no handle. Instead, there is a button to push to open the door. So, they removed the volume noob but they added buttons to open the door. I'm sure I will get used to it, but I really don't see why we can't have a normal handle on the inside of the door.
I believe there is a mechanical door handle on the inside, but its sort of "hidden". I'm 90% certain I did this when test driving this car, please correct me if I'm wrong.

https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb...ma0z4iog/p.png
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #83
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
I believe there is a mechanical door handle on the inside, but its sort of "hidden". I'm 90% certain I did this when test driving this car, please correct me if I'm wrong.

https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb...ma0z4iog/p.png
Correct
Appreciate 0