Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

06-17-2022, 08:20 PM   #1
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Took iX50 Delivery! Some early owner impressions & takeaways!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Finally got my car, a Sapphire Black iX50!

Took delivery on Wednesday, and then sent over to my detail guy to clean up, and get coated with cquartz.

I've driven in ~150km already, and some quick takeaways below. I'm coming form an X7 M50i with DHP, so adjust comments accordingly:

PROS:
  • Acceleration is rapid like every electric car...but BMW has done a good job with the tuning to make you feel in control.
  • Looks different (and I like it). I actually like the fact that it doesn't look like anything else...I've gotten more compliments on this car over the last two days than anything else I've owned in the last five year.
  • Ride/handling is well sorted out. I feel like all electric cars accelerate the same, but BMW has done a great job sweating the small stuff. Our model y really beats me up on city roads in Toronto, and I already feel a big difference in the iX. It's a relaxing drive.
  • Interior is clean and elegant...Although I miss some buttons, I'm glad they didn't go "full Tesla" with the interior.
  • HUD is massive and shows a lot of information...maybe even too big!
  • New wide bang integration with iPhone is great...just like Tesla.
  • Sunroof is nice...and the glazing does a good job of not letting the sun bother you.
  • I'm glad child locks for the rear doors are now a button next to the driver...you can switch it on/off if there are adults in the back.
  • It's electric...so, the car is costing me almost the same amount per month as my gas bill for the last month!
  • Range looks to be better than expected. Based on my current mix of highway/city driving, it's estimating a range of 570km on a full charge

CONS (mostly applies to me only):
  • Interior does feel cheaper than my X7 in comparison...I'm thinking weight savings impacted some decisions here.
  • I miss the comfort seats with seat depth adjustment (I have long legs, so that was a good resting spot)...in general, there are a lot of premium features missing compared to the X5/X7.
  • Driver's side visibility when changing lanes is worse (thicker B pillar?), but this might be because the X7 has HUGE windows.
  • The new iDrive will need some getting used to...a lot of the features are hidden in there.
  • Harmon Kardon sound system is fine. I'm not an audiophile, and I don't think this is good. I should have upgraded...so if you are on the fence, just do it. I've never updgraded to the highest sound system on any of our cars, but I would do that if I had the chance again.
  • Cruise control distance adjustment is not a button on steering anymore...they could have just used the same rocker/swivel switch as the volume/track button on the right side of the wheel. I have different distance settings for traffic, versus driving full speed on a highway, so this might get annoying.
  • Speed limit doesn't show up in the dash now...I might not have activated the right setting. It used to work on the X7.
  • Door mechanism is weird. When you open it, the door just "pops" open, rather than the smooth motion in other BMWs. And the door definitely feels cheaper than other X models from the outside (I have soft close).
  • I do miss the V8 in the X7, and even the handling with DHP. I actually miss the sound, and I don't feel like I own the road quite as much...and this doesn't feel quite "vault-like".

Hopefully, the above isn't too negative. I'm actually very excited; and looking forward to learning more about the car. It will be interesting to watch where BMW takes this platform!
Attached Images

Appreciate 26
Paladin15456.00
Ceph29955.50
Ditlow42.50
grueber471.50
Rshaw6.00
keha10.50
CarMan77424.50
slampert159.00
cfm56d7b5849.00
AlexFL7833.00
syd34213.00
Chk_ris31.50
Jakesax19.00
playswcars3611.00
MPSdriver192.00
2srsman68.00
418BUC534.50
      06-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Nice car! What are your impressions in regards to roominess front/back in the iX compared to the X7 and have you noticed the difference in ride height much in practice?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 09:57 PM   #3
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Nice car! What are your impressions in regards to roominess front/back in the iX compared to the X7 and have you noticed the difference in ride height much in practice?
The front is roomier, but the rear seat definitely has less space. However, the back seat has more space than the G05 X5...probably feels like the same as the F15 X5 (if I remember correctly).

With regards to ride height, it wasn't a big deal for me. BUT, my wife said she "felt lower than the X7", and she missed the higher vantage from the X7.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 10:13 PM   #4
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

We also have an X7 M50i and our iX is coming in 2 weeks. These cons you mentioned exactly echo what I feel about iX after my test drive. Decision decision...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:16 AM   #5
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Considering the price I’m kind of disappointed it’s not on the same luxury level as the X5 or X7. I wonder if you can improve your audio by adjusting settings? Upgrading to bowers won’t be an option for 2023 unless you get the M60.

Would you say the car is worth the price tag?

Last edited by razor488; 06-18-2022 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:35 AM   #6
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

Can you share the options you chose on your IX? Just curious if the interior feeling cheaper is even with all the crystal options and their upgraded leather or not? Is it you hear more creaking? Is it just all the cheap plastics bits at the bottom? I currently own an x5 M50i that basically had every option clicked but ventilated seats and B&W and also bought a Tesla Model Y Performance in Feb.

While the Y has actually been a great car for my daily commutes and the interior is functional enough I do miss the luxury of the X5 with the Napa leather (whichever was the highest end one), the ambient lighting, skylounge roof. Everything just felt super solid inside. But my biggest beef w/ the model Y is the lack of rear axel steering, somewhat punishing suspension, and lack of heads up display.

So currently have an 2022 IX on order that basically has everything clicked other than the 22” wheels (took all season 21”) and ventilated seats. Took a test drive of the IX a few months ago and loved how quiet it was relative to the Model Y, HUD looked amazing, and the air suspension and rear axel steering made it feel more nimble than the Y (even if it isn’t - don’t know for sure). But the tester was low spec’ed with the sensatec and no luxury package. So hoping that those options get it 90% the way of the fully optioned X5.

Also how are you feeling about the cup holders. Looks like a serious miss but hard to say without trying it in normal usage.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 09:06 AM   #7
bobkalka
bkalka
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i - Frozen Arctic

First-class, objective review, thanks for sharing!
Refujeet262.50
      06-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #8
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
Considering the price I'm kind of disappointed it's not on the same luxury level as the X5 or X7. I wonder if you can improve your audio by adjusting settings? Upgrading to bowers won't be an option for 2023 unless you get the M60.

Would you say the car is worth the price tag?
Despite the shortcomings, I still think the car is worth the price. In canada, the iX starts for around the same money as a Tesla Model Y…and this is a MUCH better car than that (based on my experience).

With regards to the X7…yeah, this is not as nice. But the X7 is at least 25% more money for Canadians. And the gas savings are on top of that. So pretty significant savings compared to the larger X-vehicles.

Compared to other electric options, I actually think the iX and i4 are actually great deals!

I always thought of Tesla's as super expensive powertrains, and cheap everything else. From BMW, you get a great powertrain and a pretty good car otherwise, for the same price (or less).

In general, I don't think people should expect X7 interior quality…I think it's a cross between X3/X5 interior quality.
Appreciate 2
mcl117.00
      06-18-2022, 09:09 AM   #9
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
A quick rundown on your options would be great! Considering you feel like the luxury is not on par with the X5/X7 I'm wondering if maybe you're comparing different trim levels (e.g. Sensatec vs full Merino, missing multifunction seats in the iX etc.).

I had an iX as a loaner for a couple days with the full leather option as well as multifunctions seats with ventilation and massage. I found the interior quality to be similar to my G11 and G05 (Nappa + leather dash and full Merino).

I do agree with your optinion about the H&K system, no chance against the B&W in my other cars. The B&W in the iX should be even better now that it has the fancy butt vibration stuff in the seats as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #10
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Thanks for the perspective and review. I've got an X7 M50i and thinking about what to do next. I'm intrigued by the iX but have been concerned that the fit and finish will not be on par with the X7. Love to see an iX7
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2022, 11:00 AM   #11
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refujeet View Post

Cruise control distance adjustment is not a button on steering anymore...they could have just used the same rocker/swivel switch as the volume/track button on the right side of the wheel. I have different distance settings for traffic, versus driving full speed on a highway, so this might get annoying.
On the topic of cruise control distance: have you tried the adaptive mode? Where the cars algo decides following distance based on speed and traffic conditions.

Curious if it lines up closely with your distance control preferences?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:14 AM   #12
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:

Cruise control distance adjustment is not a button on steering anymore...they could have just used the same rocker/swivel switch as the volume/track button on the right side of the wheel. I have different distance settings for traffic, versus driving full speed on a highway, so this might get annoying.
On the topic of cruise control distance: have you tried the adaptive mode? Where the cars algo decides following distance based on speed and traffic conditions.

Curious if it lines up closely with your distance control preferences?
OP: I also have a cruise control question. How do you change follow distance? I usually adjust this setting very, very often. Is it buried in the infotainment system?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great review.

What are your impressions about the climate controls!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #14
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great review.

What are your impressions about the climate controls!
I'm fine with the limited control. I usually leave my climate settings in auto…so having them embedded is not a huge issue.

For seat heating/cooling/massage, the embedded controls is annoying. BUT, there is a quick access button next to the seat controls (on the door) that takes you to the seat settings on the main screen immediately.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5849.00
      06-18-2022, 12:05 PM   #15
boblob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX - Incoming

Quote:
  • Speed limit doesn't show up in the dash now...I might not have activated the right setting. It used to work on the X7.
If it doesn't show up in the dash, where does it show up? The HUD?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 12:07 PM   #16
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblob View Post
Quote:
If it doesn't show up in the dash, where does it show up? The HUD?
Speed limit doesn't show up at all. It says function not available in my country (Canada).

Maybe this will be a software update later? They've had the tech for this in my last few cars…so might be some other issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 12:35 PM   #17
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

That's off-putting. Why would they disable such a useful feature that's been available on other models for years? When I consider omitted features (speed limit display and tow hitch, etc) and deleted features (passenger lumbar, hands free hatch open) the iX is losing a lot of its lustre…
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 03:48 PM   #18
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa201 View Post
Can you share the options you chose on your IX?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
A quick rundown on your options would be great! Considering you feel like the luxury is not on par with the X5/X7 I'm wondering if maybe you're comparing different trim levels (e.g. Sensatec vs full Merino, missing multifunction seats in the iX etc.).
For the X7, the car was fully fully loaded...so it's VERY nice, as it should be for the price and flagship status (for the X cars, at least).

For the iX, I think it's loaded (absent sound system. Ugh.) and here are the options:

Black sapphire metallic
Leather – Interior Design Suite – Amido

Premium Enhanced Package
323 Soft Close Doors
4HC Heat Comfort Package
4NR Interior Camera
4V1 BMW IconicSounds Electric
5DN Parking Assistant Plus w/Surround View
688 Harman/Kardon Sound System
322 Comfort Access
358 Thermally Insulated Windscreen
407 Panoramic Eclipsing Roof
4FM Multifunctional Seats for Driver and Front Passenger
6NX Wireless Device Charging
6U3 BMW Live Cockpit Professional
Note: 6U3 adds Head-Up Display

Driving Assistance Professional

Sport Package
1LD 22" Aero Wheels 1020 Bicolour 3D Polished Buff, Perf. Non-RFT

BMW Laserlight Headlights (this was probably a waste...I can't tell the difference. Anyone else?)
BMW Gesture Control (mandatory for driving assistance…why?!)
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #19
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa201 View Post
While the Y has actually been a great car for my daily commutes and the interior is functional enough I do miss the luxury of the X5 with the Napa leather (whichever was the highest end one), the ambient lighting, skylounge roof. Everything just felt super solid inside. But my biggest beef w/ the model Y is the lack of rear axel steering, somewhat punishing suspension, and lack of heads up display.

So currently have an 2022 IX on order that basically has everything clicked other than the 22” wheels (took all season 21”) and ventilated seats. Took a test drive of the IX a few months ago and loved how quiet it was relative to the Model Y, HUD looked amazing, and the air suspension and rear axel steering made it feel more nimble than the Y (even if it isn’t - don’t know for sure). But the tester was low spec’ed with the sensatec and no luxury package. So hoping that those options get it 90% the way of the fully optioned X5.

Also how are you feeling about the cup holders. Looks like a serious miss but hard to say without trying it in normal usage.
I completely agree with your sentiments on the Model Y. That's the reason we waited for this car. And honestly, based on what you are expecting, I think this car will be perfect.

The suspension and rear wheel steering make a huge difference compared to the Y.

I haven't used the cup holders yet...no food allowed for the first week. After that, all bets are off with two kids under 6. This car will be a daycare beater, so I only have one week to enjoy a clean car. Then it's off to the wife.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2022, 04:54 PM   #20
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:

I had an iX as a loaner for a couple days with the full leather option as well as multifunctions seats with ventilation and massage. I found the interior quality to be similar to my G11 and G05 (Nappa + leather dash and full Merino).

I do agree with your optinion about the H&K system, no chance against the B&W in my other cars. The B&W in the iX should be even better now that it has the fancy butt vibration stuff in the seats as well.
The Amido and Castanea leather are unique to the IX and in terms of BMW leathers are equal to or better than Merino.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #21
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
BMW Laserlight Headlights (this was probably a waste...I can't tell the difference. Anyone else?)
Your iX does have all the bells and whistles, indeed. Could you go more into detail why you think the interior is cheaper than the X7? Anything that stands out in particular? The iX is in the shortlist to replace my daily, but it would be a shame if it meant downgrading compared to the G05 with full Merino (well I would be ok if it matches the extended Merino).

The laserlights don't seem to be any brighter than the LEDs (at least in the G11/G05), but they do add quite a bit of functionality. Without them you lose dazzle-free matrix high beam, adaptive lights (swiveling when turning) as well as cornering light. Additionally in the iX the laser is also used for low beam as well. I always found the LEDs to produce a very inhomogeneous light, especially noticeable on low beams. Apparently that's solved with the lasers as well. I wonder why they ditched the lasers going forward from now...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 05:16 PM   #22
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Your iX does have all the bells and whistles, indeed. Could you go more into detail why you think the interior is cheaper than the X7? Anything that stands out in particular? The iX is in the shortlist to replace my daily, but it would be a shame if it meant downgrading compared to the G05 with full Merino (well I would be ok if it matches the extended Merino).

The laserlights don't seem to be any brighter than the LEDs (at least in the G11/G05), but they do add quite a bit of functionality. Without them you lose dazzle-free matrix high beam, adaptive lights (swiveling when turning) as well as cornering light. Additionally in the iX the laser is also used for low beam as well. I always found the LEDs to produce a very inhomogeneous light, especially noticeable on low beams. Apparently that's solved with the lasers as well. I wonder why they ditched the lasers going forward from now...
Maybe the US Laserlights aren't the same as the Euro spec? I'm not sure the dazzle free matrix high beam is allowed in the US for some reason, which strikes me as the best feature of them.
Appreciate 0