Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

07-02-2022, 11:44 PM   #1
Footman614
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Exterior color opinions

I'm trying to chose the exterior color for the I-4 M50 I plan on ordering next week. I think I eliminated the Frozen Blue from my list. So far, Brooklyn Gray metallic is the front runner. I'm ordering the Carbon fiber package which I think would compliment the color. Any thoughts of color choices from members that have either taken delivery or placed their orders?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #2
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

Color is very subjective. Just pick the one that you find the best. Doesn't really matter what other people like.

But I would like to see a poll on what color is most trending.
(Edit: Just took a look at the Reservation Tracker from the other forum. Out of 982 who entered info about their reservation (as of this writing))

The top colors are:
Brooklyn Grey Metallic/Skyscraper Grey- 171
Portiamo Blue- 151
San Remo Green- 116
Black Sapphire- 111
Dravit Grey- 110
Mineral White- 63
Tanzanite Blue- 51
Frozen Portimao Blue- 49
Black/JetBlack- 3

For myself, I was torn between Mineral White and Dravit Gray. Still going back and forth all the time. My order is currently for the Mineral White as I think white (and black) are one of those colors that are timeless. Albeit white can be a bit boring and black a nightmare to take care of. All other colors have too many variations which look great during a certain time, but over time as newer shades come out, might not look as good. I'm also getting the carbon exterior package so white would lead to the greatest contrast (not to say the carbon doesn't look good on dark cars as well).

I actually wanted gray, but Dravit with it's gold flakes inside is really dynamic. In different lighting it looks different. I don't think I like all the different looks especially in bright lights and am concerned that Dravit over Mineral White would lead to a longer delay in getting the car (since it's considered Individual for the i4, but Individual for say the i7).

Check out https://www.******.com/forums/2022-bmw-i4-pictures.9/

Good collection of colors.

Last edited by mtech8; 07-03-2022 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004085.50
      07-04-2022, 02:40 AM   #3
Footman614
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Very informative mtech8! Thank you for taking the time and effort to post a reply. I don't want to be negative about Dravit gray especially since color selection is very subjective as you said, BUT, I had a chance to get an M850 earlier this year in Dravit Gray and could not pull the trigger. The car was a family member's vehicle that they were selling. I had the car in my possession for a few months. Draft Gray is definitely a color that changes in sunlight, sometimes to the point of becoming faded looking IN MY OPINION. At night or during a cloudy day, it is dull looking and bordering on a greenish hugh. I liked the M850 but one of the main reasons of not keeping the car was the color. This car was a 2018 with less than than 3,000 miles! Dravit Gray is definitely a popular color. It just wasn't my cup of tea!
Appreciate 1
techwhiz11863.50
      07-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #4
Slushy
Registered
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I love Tanzanite Blue! It pops in the sun (at least the m440i in the building garage that someone else’s owns!)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #5
Mike i4 M50
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 REX (Solar Orange)

My favs are the San Remo Green (my M50 is painted this color with the Cognac interior - currently at the port in Germany), Tanzanite Blue, Sunset Orange, and Aventurin Red. All of these colors really pop in the sun and change quite a bit depending on light conditions.

Anything is better to me than white, black, and grey!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #6
WER2XU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cars & Bikes

Fire Orange.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:11 PM   #7
UKi4M50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G30,E46,MB,VW

I have Tanzanite Blue which as others have noted really shines and pops when the sun catches it.
However, there are some big drawbacks
1. It is the only car I have ever had to fully machine polish when delivered from the dealer. The dealer was most embarrassed as the car paintwork was marked with etching due to sap and bird droppings. This was on a new car.
2. The paintwork is extremely soft and sap/bird droppings etches into the clear coat in minutes.
3. It also marrs and picks up swirls very easily and being dark blue it shows them.
I have just ceramic coated the roof, boot and front bonnet - hopefully this will help stop the worst of this but I would probably not choose it as an exterior colour again.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004085.50
      07-05-2022, 03:01 PM   #8
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKi4M50 View Post
I have Tanzanite Blue which as others have noted really shines and pops when the sun catches it.
1. It is the only car I have ever had to fully machine polish when delivered from the dealer. The dealer was most embarrassed as the car paintwork was marked with etching due to sap and bird droppings. This was on a new car.
2. The paintwork is extremely soft and sap/bird droppings etches into the clear coat in minutes.
3. It also marrs and picks up swirls very easily and being dark blue it shows them.
I have just ceramic coated the roof, boot and front bonnet - hopefully this will help stop the worst of this but I would probably not choose it as an exterior colour again.
They parked a new car under a tree and delivered it with defects in the paint!

Nope. Non starter. Full stop.
1. They shouldn't be parking new cars under trees
2. They should have made it right before delivery.

My car is tanzenite, yet to be delivered.
deutsch1004085.50
      07-05-2022, 03:58 PM   #9
WABIM66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M50 Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
They parked a new car under a tree and delivered it with defects in the paint!

Nope. Non starter. Full stop.
1. They shouldn't be parking new cars under trees
2. They should have made it right before delivery.

My car is tanzenite, yet to be delivered.
Nope x2
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004085.50
      07-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #10
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman614 View Post
Very informative mtech8! Thank you for taking the time and effort to post a reply. I don't want to be negative about Dravit gray especially since color selection is very subjective as you said, BUT, I had a chance to get an M850 earlier this year in Dravit Gray and could not pull the trigger. The car was a family member's vehicle that they were selling. I had the car in my possession for a few months. Draft Gray is definitely a color that changes in sunlight, sometimes to the point of becoming faded looking IN MY OPINION. At night or during a cloudy day, it is dull looking and bordering on a greenish hugh. I liked the M850 but one of the main reasons of not keeping the car was the color. This car was a 2018 with less than than 3,000 miles! Dravit Gray is definitely a popular color. It just wasn't my cup of tea!
I sadly have to agree. I know Dravit Gray is very popular, but I turned down a 5 Series and 8 Series (good price) because to me Dravit is the worst colour. In some lighting, it is actually pretty, but in most situations it is drab, strange and so not my thing. Please no offense...but I am shocked so many like it. It is like a Lexus or Camry colour
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 05:26 PM   #11
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKi4M50 View Post
This is what TWO BMW dealers told me. They both said Tanzanite is gorgeous, but almost as hard to maintain as frozen colours. My fav sales Rep. actually told me to flat out avoid Tanzanite, even though it is so very beautiful
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 05:38 PM   #12
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
This is what TWO BMW dealers told me. They both said Tanzanite is gorgeous, but almost as hard to maintain as frozen colours. My fav sales Rep. actually told me to flat out avoid Tanzanite, even though it is so very beautiful
My first BMW was a color close to tanzanite and it was fine. I also had a diamond black E30 and a techno violet E36.

First thing I did before there was ceramic was use a PTFE (Teflon) wax/coating. I then used that on a regular basis along with a good quality wax. Never an issue. I also found wax that was close to the car color and used that.

This time I will ceramic coat it, use a good PTFE coating and and wax, avoid trees and make sure I rive bird crap as soon as I see it.
Tanzanite can't be harder than black to maintain.
      07-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #13
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

Quote:
I sadly have to agree. I know Dravit Gray is very popular, but I turned down a 5 Series and 8 Series (good price) because to me Dravit is the worst colour. In some lighting, it is actually pretty, but in most situations it is drab, strange and so not my thing. Please no offense...but I am shocked so many like it. It is like a Lexus or Camry colour
Yea. That's why I'm on the fence about this color. In some photos, the color is gorgeous, in others in different lighting, it's definitely not my thing.

I guess Dravit in some lighting is kinda like Brooklyn Gray. I never understood the popularity of the candy shell looking gray. I see it on SOOO many cars in so many variation/shades. I think it really depends on the car itself as well.

Porsche.

Some Audi models

BMW.. depends on the model and how it's optioned. I actually think it looks good on properly spec'ed out i4s.

Of course, this is just my opinion. And sometimes I even question myself "Am I getting old where I can't appreciate the latest trends!?" It's like back when I first got my first 3 series. I wanted to switch out the rims to bigger with low profile tires. The parts guy commented "Why would anyone want to do something that repulsive". I just thought, "Your way behind on the times. This looks good".
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004085.50
      07-05-2022, 05:44 PM   #14
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
My first BMW was a color close to tanzanite and it was fine. I also had a diamond black E30 and a techno violet E36.

First thing I did before there was ceramic was use a PTFE (Teflon) wax/coating. I then used that on a regular basis along with a good quality wax. Never an issue. I also found wax that was close to the car color and used that.

This time I will ceramic coat it, use a good PTFE coating and and wax, avoid trees and make sure I rive bird crap as soon as I see it.
Tanzanite can't be harder than black to maintain.
L O V E, LOVE Techno Violet!!! I think BMW should have offered some awesome purple shades for the i4 M50 and not the absurd $$$ for Individual colours!
Appreciate 3
techwhiz11863.50
WABIM6644.50
      07-05-2022, 08:19 PM   #15
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech8 View Post
Quote:
Yea. That's why I'm on the fence about this color. In some photos, the color is gorgeous, in others in different lighting, it's definitely not my thing.

I guess Dravit in some lighting is kinda like Brooklyn Gray. I never understood the popularity of the candy shell looking gray. I see it on SOOO many cars in so many variation/shades. I think it really depends on the car itself as well.

Porsche.

Some Audi models

BMW.. depends on the model and how it's optioned. I actually think it looks good on properly spec'ed out i4s.

Of course, this is just my opinion. And sometimes I even question myself "Am I getting old where I can't appreciate the latest trends!?" It's like back when I first got my first 3 series. I wanted to switch out the rims to bigger with low profile tires. The parts guy commented "Why would anyone want to do something that repulsive". I just thought, "Your way behind on the times. This looks good".
I actually like Audi's Nardo Grey which you can order under the Individual colors.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004085.50