Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

06-09-2022, 01:11 PM   #23
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
@mtech8 Which dealer are you taking about ? I might be able to tell you.

No way for the dealer to mess around with ordering. They can't even change the name for a specific order, say someone cancelled and they want to replace one customer for another. BMW will cancel the order, a few dealerships have tried this They can try changing the name after the car has been produced and shipped.

All orders even without production number are with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 05:57 PM   #24
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

Thanks Cruzer666. I'm working with Crevier BMW (Santa Ana, CA).

Just wanted some piece of mind that I'm not being cut in line So as long as BMW has a list of orders that were placed, I should be good.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 02:32 AM   #25
Suncoastdrives
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

I never got a production number. Perhaps they are more organized now for you late comers, LOL .
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 07:58 AM   #26
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoastdrives View Post
I never got a production number. Perhaps they are more organized now for you late comers, LOL .
@Suncoastdrives- did you also pre-order your car?

I followed up with my CA yesterday on the status of my car and whether a production number was provided. Usually once a month, but thinking of following up every two weeks instead. He said I still don't have a production number (pre-ordered in October 2021)

Would I be able to follow up with BMW Genius to see where I am line (from this dealerships). i.e. there are 10 more pre-orders ahead of me from this dealership before I get assigned a production number?

It would make waiting a lot easier if I can actually see what place in line I'm truly at (how deep the line is). Versus feeling like I'm at Disneyland in line for a newly opened ride with a blindfold on, not knowing if there are people cutting in front of the line. The whole dealers bumping up people that backed out, that's like having a husband in line, then having a wife come by to take his spot while he goes to the restroom. That's fine. Ultimately the number of people I was waiting in front remains the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 08:07 AM   #27
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech8 View Post
@Suncoastdrives- did you also pre-order your car?

I followed up with my CA yesterday on the status of my car and whether a production number was provided. Usually once a month, but thinking of following up every two weeks instead. He said I still don't have a production number (pre-ordered in October 2021)

Would I be able to follow up with BMW Genius to see where I am line (from this dealerships). i.e. there are 10 more pre-orders ahead of me from this dealership before I get assigned a production number?

It would make waiting a lot easier if I can actually see what place in line I'm truly at (how deep the line is). Versus feeling like I'm at Disneyland in line for a newly opened ride with a blindfold on, not knowing if there are people cutting in front of the line. The whole dealers bumping up people that backed out, that's like having a husband in line, then having a wife come by to take his spot while he goes to the restroom. That's fine. Ultimately the number of people I was waiting in front remains the same.
My dealership claims they don't have a line, just orders. I obviously picked the wrong dealer for my order because other buyers seem to be able to get much more info from their dealers.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 08:54 AM   #28
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 335i, on order: i4 M50

Quote:
Would I be able to follow up with BMW Genius to see where I am line (from this dealerships).
No. Without a production number or VIN, they can do nothing for you. I tried. They have zero information on when you might finally get a production number.

Last edited by jeffc42; 06-14-2022 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004108.00
      06-14-2022, 09:36 AM   #29
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc42 View Post
No. Without a production number or VIN, they can do nothing for you. I tried. They have zero information on when you might finally get one.
Right now even with a production never there is no information available.

My CA has no information right now. My car has been kicked from the schedule twice with "no production week available."

I talked to a case manager at BMW USA and they have nothing either.

So if you or anyone else is in the dark; welcome to the club.
      06-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #30
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc42 View Post
No. Without a production number or VIN, they can do nothing for you. I tried. They have zero information on when you might finally get a production number.
Uhm.. I thought Cruzer666 mentioned that all order even ones without production numbers are with BMW.

@Techwiz, I'd feel better if I had a Production Number at least. At least, it's BMW that is determining when your car is being built and prioritized. Like placed order at a restaurant vs waiting just to get seated for a dim sum restaurant (where ppl that know ppl get slipped in). Just hope that your order wasn't misplaced by the kitchen!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #31
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Uhm.. I thought Cruzer666 mentioned that all order even ones without production numbers are with BMW
Yes, they are. BMW Genius still cannot provide you with any information. The first question they ask is for the production number or VIN, and if you can't provide it, then the conversation goes nowhere fast. Having a pre-order confirmation number means nothing to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #32
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Uhm.. I thought Cruzer666 mentioned that all order even ones without production numbers are with BMW.

@Techwiz, I'd feel better if I had a Production Number at least. At least, it's BMW that is determining when your car is being built and prioritized. Like placed order at a restaurant vs waiting just to get seated for a dim sum restaurant (where ppl that know ppl get slipped in). Just hope that your order wasn't misplaced by the kitchen!!
I get you point but I have an additional analogy for you.

Imagine the same restaurant, your order is placed, but now the fun begins.

You see orders that were placed after yours come out of the kitchen.

They tell you ten minutes and you'll get your order. Minute nine they come back and tell you there is a delay in the kitchen. You ask your waiter but he tells you the kitchen is backed up and not communicating and he doesn't know when your order is coming out.

A fewinutes later he say good news another 5 minutes. Five minutes come and go and they tell you the kitchen didn't get to it and doesn't know when they will make it. Also they tell you we are missing some ingredients so it might not be quite right.

Now it's close to the end of the shift and by the way the prices go up next shift. Your order still isn't being made in the kitchen and they have changed the recipe so the fish you wanted is no longer available but they haven't told you what is. Your order might be made this shift or next shift but the kitchen won't say and the waiter and the manager don't know.....

That's me.
MikeIB0.00
jeffc42159.50
      06-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #33
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
I get you point but I have an additional analogy for you. . . .
And then there are others like me, who can only stare at the menu outside the restaurant because we can't get a reservation to go inside and sit down at a table and order.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 08:59 PM   #34
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep

Haha. Thanks guys! You guys do make waiting very slightly more bearable.

Over the weekend, I went to test drive a Taycan (base model) cuz I'm so fed up waiting and would be able to get one of those relatively soon. It cost more, but I like the exterior and interior quite a bit. I was extremely disappointed of the lack of acceleration. The 4S on the other hand is fast like the M50, but that's cost way more. Back to waiting.. really no other good choices out there that checks the same boxes as the M50
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:52 PM   #35
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Haha. Thanks guys! You guys do make waiting very slightly more bearable.

Over the weekend, I went to test drive a Taycan (base model) cuz I'm so fed up waiting and would be able to get one of those relatively soon. It cost more, but I like the exterior and interior quite a bit. I was extremely disappointed of the lack of acceleration. The 4S on the other hand is fast like the M50, but that's cost way more. Back to waiting.. really no other good choices out there that checks the same boxes as the M50
Glad you find it entertaining.
I looked at everything else also.
I considered the Lucid, but the wait was into next year if I didn't want to spend 1.5x.

I do have a Fisker Ocean reserved for my wife. She likes crossovers and SUVs. The iX was just too expensive.

But for the M50, there just isn't anything out there that is equivalent for the price.

So I'll wait and complain until I get mine.
      06-15-2022, 11:13 AM   #36
Raille
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 (hopefully this year)

I do have to say, having a good dealer makes the wait feel all the more bearable. Just had my CA call me to give me an update without me reaching out. I'm still a few orders out from going into a production number, but I also wasn't expecting that until around August/September barring major delays. The lack of information has to be really rough for the early orders, so I try to gleam what I can from those that post and their order dates.

Like others I have a backup reservation for the Chevy Truck if this falls through, but with an expected availability of Fall 2023 that's more of a, if everything goes to hell with the BMW. At least I got the UDE this weekend to tide me over.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #37
Creativepart
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Garage List
My dealer gave me a list today showing 5 other people on the list ahead of me to have their order accepted. He explained they are delivering about 2-cars a month and are seeing 2 to 3 more orders being accepted by the factory and moving to production per month. At this rate he expects 2-months to 3-months tops before I get an official order number and can start tracking production.

So, they can get a list of where you are in the queue. He printed out page one of 5 pages of orders at their dealership - there are 66 orders at their dealership. The printout is titled DAR Pipeline Detail.
Appreciate 0