Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

06-23-2022, 07:05 PM   #23
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrockstar23 View Post
It is a close test. But my vote is for the M3P by a nose. (Or even better the MYMP)

Better acceleration. Better handling. (Distractions are not a thing) Better standard sound. Better interior space. Roomier backseat. Better/quicker charging infrastructure. Curvier exterior.

i4 wins for more color options, better build quality. More ICE-like features.

Don’t love the styling or fact it’s a carbon copy of 4 series GC (subjective) and I actually like the grill until you have to put a license plate on it.

You will love both…
In my opinion I thought the Model 3P felt faster and turned better because of the tires. My Model 3 LR AWD with oem all seasons was a complete 180 opposite turd in handling, but it was more comfortable due to its cushy 18" tires and big sidewalls. I would've purchased an i4M50 but the styling was too 4series GC (subjective as stated). In fact, at my 1200 M4 service yesterday I thought long and hard about the dealer's demo, but the grill and rear quarter panels and....it's just not my style.

I really like so many things about my new M4CX, but I do miss the instant EV snap for everyday driving. But there's nothing on the market I really truly want (can't afford a Taycan Turbo, the KIA EV6 GT isn't out and it's a KIA) yet I still stare longingly at the i4M50. If it looked like the M3/4 it would've come home. Fingers crossed the EV Cayman or a sportier BMW checks all my boxes for a non-long distance fun car (and has a physical volume knob).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 03:52 PM   #24
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
In my opinion I thought the Model 3P felt faster and turned better because of the tires. My Model 3 LR AWD with oem all seasons was a complete 180 opposite turd in handling, but it was more comfortable due to its cushy 18" tires and big sidewalls. I would've purchased an i4M50 but the styling was too 4series GC (subjective as stated). In fact, at my 1200 M4 service yesterday I thought long and hard about the dealer's demo, but the grill and rear quarter panels and....it's just not my style.

I really like so many things about my new M4CX, but I do miss the instant EV snap for everyday driving. But there's nothing on the market I really truly want (can't afford a Taycan Turbo, the KIA EV6 GT isn't out and it's a KIA) yet I still stare longingly at the i4M50. If it looked like the M3/4 it would've come home. Fingers crossed the EV Cayman or a sportier BMW checks all my boxes for a non-long distance fun car (and has a physical volume knob).
for most of us, we don't really want to see the car not look like a bmw. As they move to the new EV only platforms, I hope that they gain more space and become lighter etc, but I really don't want them to try and appeal to granola ev nerds. Have those guys buy tesla, I don't need to show my tech company friends that I'm trying to save the world with my EV, I want the sleeper car thats fast, fun, low maintenance and lasts forever (other than tires). That's what BMW did so well, selling sleeper sports cars to executives that other than a few subtle badges looked like your daily driver to the office, but could put the hammer down on your weekend track days.
Appreciate 6
cruzer6661239.00
techwhiz11863.50
jeffc42159.50
pharding308.00
deutsch1004106.50
      06-24-2022, 05:17 PM   #25
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I actually just ordered a Tesla M3P (will take delivery sunday) and also am ordering a custom spec i4 M50 tomorrow. My plan is to drive the Tesla until the i4 comes in, and then evaluate and likely switch. I am betting that I will be able to get out of the Tesla for close to what I paid for it since I don't see supply chain issues easing in the next year (I work in electronics) and I bet the price of the M3P will increase.

For me, this is what I value in a car at this point in my life:

Very important:

Stress free (no oil changes, engine problems, plug changes, etc) - tie
60-130 performance - BMW
0-60 performance - Tesla, barely
Handling performance - Likely tesla
Steering and suspension feel - BMW
Hatchback - BMW
Apple CarPlay compatible - BMW
Heated steering wheel/seats - tie
Pre-conditioning on an app or schedule -tie
AWD -tie

Pretty important:

Exterior design/style - tie/BMW
Interior quality, style, design - BMW by a mile
Luxury feel - BMW
Service and support network - BMW
Heads up display - BMW

Nice, but not a big deal:

Range (anything over 200 miles is better than my current e85 car) - Tesla
Supercharging network - Tesla
More intuitive controls for daily driving - BMW

While I am sure I will enjoy the Tesla, I have a feeling the BMW will be a better car for my use cases. Neither one will replace a full blown sports car when it comes to the fun factor, but I do think the BMW can come closer with less drawbacks.
Appreciate 2
techwhiz11863.50
deutsch1004106.50
      06-26-2022, 06:35 AM   #26
Footman614
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Comparing an I-4 M50 to a Tesla Model 3 performance

Some very interesting and informative replies.
I sat in my neighbors Y model yesterday and while feeling very futuristic, I thought to myself that I will get very bored with this car. Another experience I had a few years ago when I was purchasing a pre-owned Porsche Cayman GTS. While at the dealership, I saw a pre-owned S model Tesla. I made a comment on the car and the sales associate said they get a lot of pre-owned Tesla's in after only one year of ownership. Enquiring as to why, the SA said owners get bored quickly after the initial thrill of the fast straight line 0-60.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 11:24 AM   #27
BTDOC23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 330e

Good write up paradoxical. Feel very similar. Loving my MY LR with accel boost but agree on the interior amenities + likely reliability of the i4. I’ve been very lucky to not have any issues with the MY. But the interior room of the MY and trunk can’t be beat for someone who has to regularly drive two teenagers around.

Hoping for the EV Macan to be a killer and/or me to have enough courage to buy back into growth stocks right now and cake off into a Porsche dealer for the Taycan Cross Turismo!!
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #28
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman614 View Post
Some very interesting and informative replies.
I sat in my neighbors Y model yesterday and while feeling very futuristic, I thought to myself that I will get very bored with this car. Another experience I had a few years ago when I was purchasing a pre-owned Porsche Cayman GTS. While at the dealership, I saw a pre-owned S model Tesla. I made a comment on the car and the sales associate said they get a lot of pre-owned Tesla's in after only one year of ownership. Enquiring as to why, the SA said owners get bored quickly after the initial thrill of the fast straight line 0-60.
Yup…. Same feeling about my Tesla P3D…. Aside from the 0-60, it’s got the soul of an electric shaver. Fingers crossed my i4 gives me more smiles per mile than the Tesla did…. If not, well, there’s always an ///M car with a loud exhaust to fill the void
      06-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #29
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
Yup…. Same feeling about my Tesla P3D…. Aside from the 0-60, it’s got the soul of an electric shaver. Fingers crossed my i4 gives me more smiles per mile than the Tesla did…. If not, well, there’s always an ///M car with a loud exhaust to fill the void
Also Model 3's suspension does not induce confidence on normal roads except for freshly finished asphalts. For sure i4 does not have that shortcoming.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 07:41 PM   #30
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Also Model 3's suspension does not induce confidence on normal roads except for freshly finished asphalts. For sure i4 does not have that shortcoming.
The model 3 early prototypes had an adaptive suspension. Elon claimed (like always) that he would introduce adaptive air suspension six months into production.

It never happened and it was not talked about.

Why would I pay between $60+75k on a car that needs the suspension redone from the factory. I can comfortably say that BMW has not released a suspension that bad on anything since I started driving BMW's. My first BMW was a 70's era 530i.
      06-26-2022, 08:15 PM   #31
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Why would I pay between $60+75k on a car that needs the suspension redone from the factory. I can comfortably say that BMW has not released a suspension that bad on anything since I started driving BMW's. My first BMW was a 70's era 530i.
C&D says this about the new 230i(250hp and almost 300lb-ft):

"I learn not to tangle with the kids in their big hot Mothers with the 500 horsepower engines unless I can get them into a tight place demanding agility, brakes, and the raw courage that is built into the BMW driver's seat as a no-cost extra."

The above also applies to 330i on Bay Area roads, which rarely are race track-like nor with freshly laid asphalt.

On these DD imperfect roads, the i4 even with extra weight can still outrun equivalent trims of Model 3, esp. on tight curves.

Having said that, the flyovers and cloverleafs close to the Tesla factory surprisingly are quite good, I guess Musk pays to maintain those roads for Tesla test drives.
Appreciate 1
techwhiz11863.50
      06-27-2022, 07:58 AM   #32
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Am I right in thinking that in the US the i4M50 doesn't come standard with high performance rubber, its just some here saying the Model3P handles better which is the complete opposite to what I have experienced from owning the i4M50 and having a good long drive in a business associate's M3P. Mine is on the 20" alloys with 255 on the front and 275 on the rear, I believe this isn't even an option in the US which is a shame.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2022, 08:26 AM   #33
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Am I right in thinking that in the US the i4M50 doesn't come standard with high performance rubber, its just some here saying the Model3P handles better which is the complete opposite to what I have experienced from owning the i4M50 and having a good long drive in a business associate's M3P. Mine is on the 20" alloys with 255 on the front and 275 on the rear, I believe this isn't even an option in the US which is a shame.
Yes, myself and Techwiz1 are getting 20" wheels with the High Performance Package.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
techwhiz11863.50
      06-27-2022, 01:29 PM   #34
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Yes, myself and Techwiz1 are getting 20" wheels with the High Performance Package.
Not says that if you push too hard on a corner the sheer weight won’t overwhelm the grip levels of the rubber but this point is extremely high.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #35
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not says that if you push too hard on a corner the sheer weight won’t overwhelm the grip levels of the rubber but this point is extremely high.
So I had an extensive test drive with a car that had 19" performance tires (not nearly as wide as the 20" tires).

I drove the car like a scalded cat. At legal speeds there was nothing I could do to make the car behave in a manner that was unexpected. I tried.
I tried trail braking into a corner. Nothing
I tried running into a offramp with excess speed I needed to dump. Nothing
I tried going into a clover leaf hot and early acceleration. Nothing.
I have a few other scenarios with sweepers and decreasing radius on/offramps. I could not get the car to do anything that was unforgiving.

BMW M did a great.job of chassis and suspension tuning.

Unless you are really trying to push the upper limits of grip at speeds where you lose your license, the car is great. I know how to drive and short of doing something stupid, the car is going to maintain grip in the dry and be able to get power to the road. Even with the 19" performance tires.
      06-27-2022, 06:42 PM   #36
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
BMW M did a great.job of chassis and suspension tuning.
I test drove a I4 M50 on one of my DD tight blind cloverleaves(speed limit 25mph),and the CA(who drives a M3) was nervous going into the curve.

He said a previous test drive was with a Tesla Model 3P driver who accelerated and braked back and forth in the curve making him car sick.

I rolled in@45mph(my 330i usually did 40 with zero tire squeaks) while distracting the CA with small talks.

The car just rotated with competence and pose, to the extent the CA didn't realize we were way past the curve, with a Model 3 trailing us by 5-6 car lengths.

I have coworkers and friends with both Model 3 and G20, and they pick and match the roads to drive them on. To them, G20(and most BMW I assume) is far better DD car than Model 3 except for roads with flawless asphalts.
Appreciate 1
techwhiz11863.50
      06-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #37
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Gotta love that BMW active suspension.
      06-28-2022, 06:15 AM   #38
Allen Aquino
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM8 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman614 View Post
Has anyone who either purchased or are thinking of purchasing an I4 M50 driven a Tesla M3 Performance model. Just on looks, features and build quality, the BMW seems to hold an edge over the Tesla. Has anyone driven both and could make some observations?
BMW Is much and way better than Tesla Trust me on that
Appreciate 1
Mosset0.00
      06-28-2022, 07:30 AM   #39
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Gotta love that BMW active suspension.
It's brilliant on a smooth road, it's brilliant at dealing with individual bumps but I think the sheer weight and relatively short suspension travel doesn't deal quite so well with multiple bumps in close proximity to each other, then things start to unravel IMO.

I was driving on a road yesterday that I use to live on, it's a very undulating and bumpy road so in fairness the i4 would be struggling, in no time at all I had reduced my speed from the speed limit of 60mph down to 45mph to stop myself being thrown all over the place. Very few saloon cars I have owned have dealt with this road of which the Jaguar XF was by far the best, even the M5 was better than the i4 so I reckon there is only so much M magic can be sprinkled to account for weight. If I had still lived there I wouldn't be driving the i4M50, I would be in the iX50 instead.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #40
awaitingbimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5 Sportback

I test drive the model 3 performance and i4 m50. BMW was way better.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 01:50 AM   #41
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's brilliant on a smooth road, it's brilliant at dealing with individual bumps but I think the sheer weight and relatively short suspension travel doesn't deal quite so well with multiple bumps in close proximity to each other, then things start to unravel IMO.
That is good feedback.

I am interested in i4 40 for its RWD and 350+lb lighter weight than M50.

At 4700lb, i4 40 is still 1000+lb heavier than my current G20 330i, which is light on its feet, rotates well, and soaks up bumps handily with its lift-related dampers.

I do look fwd to the days that a 500-mile EV can weigh around 3500lb in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 02:24 AM   #42
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I do look fwd to the days that a 500-mile EV can weigh around 3500lb in the near future.
That's not near future.
      06-29-2022, 03:01 AM   #43
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's not near future.
If that is the case I will keep annoying Tesla owners on tight curves with my German Accord.
Appreciate 0