Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Luckily the grill will only be lasting for one generation, as a "transitional-design" as people get more use to the EV design cues. MB's head of design said future EV generations will have a front end similar to the EQXX Concept.
EQXX…one of the ugliest concepts from Mercedes in a very long time. It feels like every car manufacturer is trying too hard with their EV designs.
I like it, very futuristic looking. That being said, its a concept so much is likely to change. The engineering and technology behind it is more impressive than the design though.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 07:07 PM   #46
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
I disagree on both fronts (no pun intended). The hyper-screen option on the Mercedes is a gimmick and likely a glare and reflection nightmare. Very few real world review are available but in the videos I’ve seen the glare and reflections are pretty obvious.
Imagine how expensive that thing must be to fix or replace.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 11:30 PM   #47
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Not a gimmick at all. Highly functional. A touch screen is so much more usable if it is big. The one in the IX is too small. Reaching for the temperature control in the IX requires you to lean forward.
One of the biggest advantage of iX over the Hyperscreen is the iDrive controller. I usually prefer using the iDrive controller than touch screen. And I don't find myself the need to lean forward for the on-screen temp control - the reach feels more or less the same as the temp control buttons on the X5.

Quote:
Also the general look and feel of the EQS interior is similar to an S-Class. The IX is well short of an X5 or X7 in terms of the level of refinement and finish.
Well, many would disagree with you, including me and Autocar.
iX is a class above my X5 in terms of refinement.

And Autocar thinks than iX is better than the EQS.

Appreciate 1
      04-16-2022, 10:03 AM   #48
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
One of the biggest advantage of iX over the Hyperscreen is the iDrive controller. I usually prefer using the iDrive controller than touch screen. And I don't find myself the need to lean forward for the on-screen temp control - the reach feels more or less the same as the temp control buttons on the X5.

This is an EQS in my mind:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
volodp199.50
      04-16-2022, 05:16 PM   #49
07e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Looking forwarding to their idea once EQS SUV is review. EQS SUV seems to be a few steps up in comparing to EQS Sedan

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 05:24 PM   #50
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
This is an EQS in my mind:
I completely agree lol I find it ugly from outside, looks like a round blob
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 06:49 AM   #51
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

No need to be so defensive of the iX. The EQS SUV is just another option from a premium German builder. I've owned several MB and they build a quality vehicle. As for the looks, to each his own, but based on these leaked photos, I think the EQS SUV is attractive and not as odd looking as the iX (which I have on order). We may eventually trade the iX on an EQS SUV once pricing and availability is announced. So everyone should hold their judgement until you see an EQS SUV in-person. I ordered the iX without seeing it since the deposit is refundable but after seeing and driving it I'm ready to own one. That may be where we end up with the MB in year or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 10:29 AM   #52
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
No need to be so defensive of the iX. The EQS SUV is just another option from a premium German builder. I've owned several MB and they build a quality vehicle. As for the looks, to each his own, but based on these leaked photos, I think the EQS SUV is attractive and not as odd looking as the iX (which I have on order). We may eventually trade the iX on an EQS SUV once pricing and availability is announced. So everyone should hold their judgement until you see an EQS SUV in-person. I ordered the iX without seeing it since the deposit is refundable but after seeing and driving it I'm ready to own one. That may be where we end up with the MB in year or so.
And it looks like the industry is cranking up to warp speed as far as new EV models, infrastructure and technology. I suspect the transition from petroleum to electric - and beyond - may be faster than any of us think, barring additional political and resource disruptions (and not exclusively to "save the planet" - George Carlin had some observations on that). In five years anything made today may look like an antique.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1066.00
      04-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #53
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:

Autocar tested a dual motor IX vs a single motor EQS so it isn't apples to apples. Second rate journalism.

Also I am a better judge because I own an EQS, and I also have driven the IX and ordered an IX.

The IX drives well, but so does the EQS. EQS crushes IX in ride quality, luxury and interior refinement. EQS is also better looking though I admit it is subjective.

The biggest issue with the IX though is that it feels cheap in the same way that a Tesla feels cheap. They took minimalism too far. When you sit inside the IX, if you slapped a Tesla badge on the wheel you could believe it is a Tesla. In fact you could believe it is the new Tesla mini-van based on the layout of the front compartment. The interior simply doesn't look fully finished.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13729.00
      04-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #54
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Autocar tested a dual motor IX vs a single motor EQS so it isn't apples to apples. Second rate journalism.

Also I am a better judge because I own an EQS, and I also have driven the IX and ordered an IX.

The IX drives well, but so does the EQS. EQS crushes IX in ride quality, luxury and interior refinement. EQS is also better looking though I admit it is subjective.

The biggest issue with the IX though is that it feels cheap in the same way that a Tesla feels cheap. They took minimalism too far. When you sit inside the IX, if you slapped a Tesla badge on the wheel you could believe it is a Tesla. In fact you could believe it is the new Tesla mini-van based on the layout of the front compartment. The interior simply doesn't look fully finished.
I actually agree with your assessment of the iX interior. It's certainly not bad, but they could've done more. I've driven the demo twice and when I get out of the it and back into my X7, it feels more luxurious. I suspect the EQS SUV will have one of the best interiors of any electric SUV because Mercedes knows how to do interiors well. Historically Mercedes has always offered more luxurious interiors compared to BMW who's focuses more on the drive and handling. They both have their pluses and minuses. I'm buying an iX but I may end up buying an EQS SUV depending on the pricing and availability. I think in the end it will be the luxury SUV that I really want in an EV.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 01:33 PM   #55
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I actually agree with your assessment of the iX interior. It's certainly not bad, but they could've done more. I've driven the demo twice and when I get out of the it and back into my X7, it feels more luxurious. I suspect the EQS SUV will have one of the best interiors of any electric SUV because Mercedes knows how to do interiors well. Historically Mercedes has always offered more luxurious interiors compared to BMW who's focuses more on the drive and handling. They both have their pluses and minuses. I'm buying an iX but I may end up buying an EQS SUV depending on the pricing and availability. I think in the end it will be the luxury SUV that I really want in an EV.
Exactly. This is my point. The IX interior does not feel up to BMW standard. If it were an ICE, you would sit in there and think it is a budget X5 sold for 20k less than a proper X5. That is not the case with the EQS interior - it seems similar an S-Class. The EQS SUV has a much nicer interior than the GLS SUV which it's ICE counterpart.

BMW interiors were the benchmark at one time. When I had an F10 M5 - the interior was much nicer than the equivalent E63 of the time. But you are right that over the long term Mercedes usually has better interiors.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13729.00
      04-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #56
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Quote:
Exactly. This is my point. The IX interior does not feel up to BMW standard. If it were an ICE, you would sit in there and think it is a budget X5 sold for 20k less than a proper X5. That is not the case with the EQS interior - it seems similar an S-Class. The EQS SUV has a much nicer interior than the GLS SUV which it's ICE counterpart.

BMW interiors were the benchmark at one time. When I had an F10 M5 - the interior was much nicer than the equivalent E63 of the time. But you are right that over the long term Mercedes usually has better interiors.
With the recent EQS price increase it's a 40k swing between the 2 not including Mercedes dealer markup over MSRP which BMW has not done.

40k buys a lot of luxury, not saying it is not nicer inside, but remember it's also 40k more for fully loaded EQS.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #57
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

The iX compares more to the upcoming EQE SUV though, so that will be closer in price, the EQS is much larger and will offer a third row.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 04:48 PM   #58
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
The iX compares more to the upcoming EQE SUV though, so that will be closer in price, the EQS is much larger and will offer a third row.
Good point and nobody knows what the new EQS SUV (or EQE SUV) will cost yet. We should know a lot more about EQS SUV after Tuesday, April 19.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 05:02 PM   #59
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

The interior of the iX is what has drawn me back to BMW. The interiors of the last few years whilst high quality are pretty dated, the iX is seems like a fresh start, a good balance of quality, luxury, minimalism, airiness, and a feeling of the future. That in my opinion dates the interiors of the rest of the range even more. Compare the other electric SUV option, the iX3, next to the iX and one feels like it came from a different century.

Yes, luxury is a very personal feeling, but for me the iX has nailed it completely.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #60
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

An EQS SUV charging next to a BMW iX:
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
stein_325i25175.00
volodp199.50
Paladin15643.00
      04-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #61
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Would it have been first rate journalism if they pitted a $105k iX against the EQS—with most similar performance—at $130k? Would that be better journalism? The last time I checked most people I know cross-shop cars based on price and don't have an extra $25k lying around. That's not even factoring in the $50k Mercedes dealers are adding as markup to the EQS. That's how Jon Rettinger ended up with a Lucid.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 07:35 AM   #62
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
This car is definitely a beauty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #63
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

This is a high quality video of the EQS SUV in Alpine Grey:
Appreciate 1
Paladin15643.00
      04-19-2022, 07:56 AM   #64
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

I imagine the EQS will appeal a lot to women.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 08:05 AM   #65
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I'm guessing not much overhead for a base model there, and would suspect Range Rover EV territory which would peg it somewhere near the $120k mark. And up, not counting any dealer "markup." Which would be a different segment than the iX. We shall see....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 08:15 AM   #66
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
I imagine the EQS will appeal a lot to women.
As I already posted, I'm buying an iX for sure but the EQS SUV is better looking inside and out regardless of the price difference so I'll be ordering one of these as well. Oh, and I'm not a woman, or a fanboy.
Appreciate 0